Bilge Storage on 2006 Gulfstream 232

wshackne

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Gulfstream 232 and it has a lot of vacant area in the bilge just behind the gas tank. You can access this presently by raising up the aft inspection plate that is in the deck. It's probably about a 4 foot square area under there.

I saw another post about an issue similar to this and it got me thinking about using this area for storage (bumpers, cleaning, buckets, nets, etc.). Anyone done that on this model boat? Seems to me that the first order of business would be a larger access hatch and then some kind of lift out container that would drop in similar to the port aft storage box adjacent to the fish box. Any ideas appreciated!

Any idea why Grady didn't set this up for storage anyway? They are usually so good about using every available inch of space!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It may have been originally designed to hold the aux fuel tank, if so, then it is always there for that purpose even later.

I don't recall seeing any Grday designs where fuel compartments where offered in a storage version, not that it can't be done.

Another member posted a hatch design he made, I believe it was for a Gulfstream same compartment.

Shootz

Reaction score
Aux storage

I have an older Fisherman 24' center console. I also have a "spare" storage area behind my main tank compartment. Since I had this boat totally re-worked, I placed a piano hinge on the engine side of this hatch and dropped in a flush mount pick up handle so that I could use this 20+ gallon (approx'ly) area as a fish box or just storage. It drains into the bilge compartment, plus I had it double-coated with gel coat to keep the moisture out (or at least minimized!).

Shootz
Virginia Beach

wshackne

Reaction score
Interesting idea. How did you "seal" the hatch so that the deck would still bail and the water wouldn't just run down into the compartment?

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check for a thread posted sometime ago by Bokat. He added a hatch to his Gulfstream just like you are thinking about. He posted pictures of the process here. You can probably PM him for more details.