Bilge Water Alarm

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought one of these for my Marlin. I'm thinking that I should install it in the aft area of the bilge and have a couple of questions.

Has anyone installed one? If so, where did you place the sensor?
Does anyone have tips on snaking the wire to the dash?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A good project worth doing...I had one on my 29 Blackfin, and am installing one on my 282 Sailfish. Elevate the float switch so that it sets higher than your bilge pump float switch, but 3 or 4 inches. That way it won't sound off every time your bilge pump kicks in, but will sound off if the water level rises that 3" - 4". Make a horizontal platform for the sensor to mount on, and attach it, using good installation practices; e.g. resin-coated marine plywood or a piece of King Starboard (or go to the dept store and buy a small plastic-type cutting board. Use a piece of aluminum angle (Lowes) to attach the board to a stringer. Coated screw threads with 3M 4200 or 5200. Make sure your installation and wiring does not interfere with the regular bilge pump/float switch.

Grady's all have wiring chase-tubes that run forward from the rear bilge area, and can be accessed under the helm area. Use marine wire (tinned conductors), not something from Radio SHack or Auto Zone. Install your warning horn at the helm, and properly fuse it near the battery, and connect to battery + (not through the battery disconnect switch). This way the alarm will sound if the bilge is filling with water and the battery switches are off. That will give some audible warning to persons at the dock, when you are not around.

If you are unsure of how to do any of this, I would suggest you enlist the aid of someone who is familiar with this type of work.

I think Brian has installed one on his boat, and maybe can weigh in here with some advice.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I installed one n my sailfish. Attached the unit to balk head side in bilge next to pump and ran switch to just under steering wheel. Works great. Luckily never had it go off.

DaleH

Reaction score
I personally would not install any high water alarm bilge switch or storm pump switch using moving parts, like a float arm or such. I prefer the 2-contact totally sealed electronic "water presence" switches like sold by Water Witch.

See: http://www.waterwitchinc.com/new/SiteEl ... Water.html

23-12.gif

Fishtales

Reaction score
thanks guys. i have the contact switch with no moving parts. will install before spring.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have had a constant problem with float switches for my aft bilge pump. For some reason the one that came with the boat failed and I had to replace it. I never could get to the old one because the only access I have is through the two six inch access holes in the motor well. I put a new switch on a piece of stainless scrap from my shop and was able to place it behind the old switch and tie the new wires into the old wires behind the perko switches in the rear bulkhead. Unfortunately, the new switch has failed also so I am right back to the starting gate.

At this time, I purchased the high water alarm you guys are recommending and planned to install it but couldn't reach a decent place to install it. The only solution I think is to get a good glass man to cut a decent access hole in the motor well and put a hatch big enough to install the high water alarm and a good float switch through. A hatch that lets a little water in with a operating bilge pump and high water alarm is a lot better than no hatch, no bilge pump and no high water alarm.

I can't see why Grady couldn't give us more access.

DaleH

Reaction score
FWIW Johnson Pump made the combo washdown/livewell pump that lasted 14-seasons in my bro's GW 23' WA model. They make a high water bilge alarm, using an electronic (read: no moving parts) sensor that can be had for around $58 on-line, if you do a google search for the terms "johnson pump bilge alert".

Picture and PDF spec/install sheet attached below. Also see the Johnson Pump website: http://www.johnson-pump.com/jpmarine/pr ... alert.html

Note - spec sheet not uploaded ... PDFs not allowed :(

Attachments

• HighWaterAlarm.jpg
    HighWaterAlarm.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3,777