Bimini Top Seagull Bird Poop on it! Best way to clean it off

jellyfish

Reaction score
Ok, it stopped raining today, so I was able to work on the old GW. I don't have a hard top so I put the Blue Bimini top up today, it was wet but to my surpize in very good condition! But it had 3 or 4 good size seagull brown and white bird poop on the top that no one cleaned. Can someone tell me whats the best way to clean the top? Also the side ensinglass wap arounds are in good condition but need a good cleaning? I don't want to scratch them. thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
Fresh water and mild soap ( boat soap) for the top and glass. If the bird poop is dried out, it will take some effort, soaking for a while and perhaps a light brushing to clean it. After it dries and if it isn't freezing out, the top should be treated with a canvas water repellent. If the top doesn't bead when you wet it, it needs to be treated. Treating helps reduce the staining of the bird poop. I use 303 Aerospace fabric guard and it works very well.
For the glass, use water and if needed, mild soap. Vinegar may be used if needed. Mild soap is boat soap and not dish detergent. Glass should be treated witha UV inhibitor/polish meant for the vinyl 'glass' A lot of folks use Plexus. I use 303 Protectorant ( differet stuff than the Fabric Guard for the canvas) on my 'glass'.

jellyfish

Reaction score
thanks SS, I will try it this week if I get home early enough from work! One day I will get to spend more then 2 hours on her.

jellyfish

Reaction score
btw where can I get the 303 areospace fabic spray?

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Jellyfish

Novus cleaner works really well on the glass! It is available as a one step, two step, or three step process depending on the condition of the glass. The number one step is a cleaner protectant, the second step is a fine scratch remover, and the third step is a deep scratch remover. Check it out I used it on my glass and the stuff worked amazing!

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Try "Spider & Bird Stain Remover" from Starbrite. It works amazingly well to dissolve dried up bird stains. I've used it on fiberglass and viny without any problems although I haven't tried it on canvas.

seasick

Reaction score
jellyfish said:
btw where can I get the 303 areospace fabic spray?

Aerospace 303 Fabric Guard is available at many marine stores. It may be available at West Marine but I am not sure. A lot of on-line sites carry it. It is expensive but so is everything else marine.