Black spots on vinyl

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I remember a topic a while back about how to clean the black spots off vinyl and caulking. I cannot figure out how to search on this iPad so I would appreciate a quick summery of what they are and how to clean/prevent them. Thanks

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've had luck using magic eraser and then coating with Aerospace 303 protectant.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I keep dabbing with clorox cleanup, until they are gone, sometimes takes time but always works.
Hard vinyl same for bolster vinyl. Same for inside skin of hardtop. Treated inside skin with a 3M protectorant, slippery but spots didn't come back for this season too. Bolsters too but was too slippery but lasted from last season until now (about halfway thru second season). Caulk takes the longest.

Rinse good. Don't wear clothes you are concerned with, it will bleach your colored clothes.

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
I just used Star Brite's mildew remover on the vinyl on my helm chairs. I thought the vinyl was shot and needed to be replaced. The guy at West Marine told me he was nearly sure that what I was describing to him was just mildew and nothing more. I disagreed strongly. He told me to buy the Star Brite vinyl cleaner and if it didn't work he would buy the bottle back out of his own pocket. So, I bought the bottle, sprayed it on my seats and walked away. Came back 10 minutes later and I kid you not, the seats look like they are brand new - literally. I couldn't believe it (still cant). So, next time I go to West Marine I'll be eating crow. But, now I know what sales associate to see every time I am in there!

seasick

Reaction score
wspitler said:
I've had luck using magic eraser and then coating with Aerospace 303 protectant.
I don't advise the Magic Eraser. It is more abrasive than you would think and can easilly cut through the vinly's protective layer. I have seen it cut through gel coat.
On the other hand, I do like 3030 protectorant.
Dif sells a mildew remover at Home Depot that I have found to work quite well. Just make sure you rinse well after use. Caulk may or may noy clean up and will ofter re-mold. As it gets old, it gets porous and the mold spores and dirt get in deep.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check out Zep Mildew and Mold remover in the blue spray or gallon jug. Avail at home depot for about $7 for the gallon size. I use this in the bilge, on the top of the gunnels and on the bolsters/staimoid sections especially after winter storage under shrink wrap. I think this stuff is great as well as inexpensive.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Watch the Zep mildew remover around chrome-on-bronze. Dissolves the chrome into a purple/blue stain onto the glass. Whoa, been there done that! White vinegar saved the day on the glass to remove the stain, too late for the chrome on bronze nuts. The Zep didn't get stain out.
Zep does work fastest in my test trail on the black mildew spots on the helm seats plastic armrests and bloom under hardtop, then in order of speed: Spray Nine, Clorox Cleanup, white vinegar(2parts)/lemmon juice(one part)/water (2 parts) combo (from NEM). The combo never id get the last remnants.
Just keep Zep away from metal. And wear latex or nitral gloves on all these, did a number on my skin, cracked the skin at fingertips.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks Bob. I used it just once and it was great. I did work fast. Spray on. Leave for about 30 sec and washed off. It worked great but I was afraid of collateral damage.