Boat Lift Info?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The future may have my Gulfstream on a lift in the backyard..Maybe. In the meantime, thought I'd get your all's thoughts.
I am not interested in saving pennies here. I want the best protection and stability for the boat.

1.) Capacity? My 232 weighs 10,100 lbs including trailer, full fuel, gear, etc. Twin 200 Four Strokes. I want a cushion of safety here. Obviously you subtract the weight of the trailer, which is steel/galvanized with tandem axles. It's probably 1000 lbs.

2.) What brand? I would like a well-known company where parts and service are readily available with professional people. I don't work on things myself.

3.) What kind? I see some with four posts driven into the bottom and the lift in the middle of them and others with an "elevator" type arrangement where there are I-Beams going into the water at an angle.

4.) How much are they?

5.) After installation, who determines the placement of the bunks on the hull? I think this is critical as the hull needs to be supported properly. I don't want it warping out of shape over time due to incorrect bunk placement.

6.) What kind of maintenance needs to be pulled on these things? I assume you wash it down with fresh water and then there's the lift motor and cables.

7.) Life expectancy?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Brigator

Reaction score
Magic,

I have my gulfstream on a lift. It is at a marina so they take care of the lift but I can tell you that grady white has an info sheet of where to put the bunks. I has exact measurements. Just call them and they will email it to you.

Hope that helps
Brian

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Check out "Hi-Tide" boat lifts on the internet. I have a 20K# elevator that is all stainless and high grade aluminum. It has grease fittings and sacrificial anodes for longevity. The higher capacities are slow moving, but I'm happy with this brand and was told by an electrician who installs lifts that it's one of the best. All of my communications with the manufacturer have been great. Costs are listed on the website as I remember, but the 20K elevator was around $14K plus installation. The type, four post or elevator is driven by site conditions. We have a canal and needed the elevator to reduce distance into the waterway. GW will give you the specs for bunk placement or the lift manufacturer may already have them. Good Luck! This brand was recommended by several people here in FL and I'm happy.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks to you both.
Helpful info! I will get in touch with Grady on the bunk measurements.
I will also go to Hi-Tide and look it over.

Another thing I want to have is a lift wide enough to put planking on either side to access the hull for cleaning and waxing. Kind of a "walkboard" arrangement. As wspitler said, canal width will determine what I can do, I'm sure.

Bama96

Reaction score
I have a Golden Elevator lift for my 225 Tournament. It works really well and it was the best money I have spent on boating. The unit has the auto stop feature and a remote. Cost me about $10K but that included lift, permitting, and installation. The Golden has all SS hardware.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Bama..

I'll peruse the websites of these lift companies. The remote sounds good also.

chesapeake

Reaction score
when I bought my lift they told me I should stay below 80% capacity for safe operation.
whatever left on board i.e. 8000 pounds total all boat motors fuel gear = use a 10,000 pound lift.

also remote control is a very good add-on

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Chesapeake;

That sounds right to me. At least that's the ball-park safety add-on that I was thinking of.

As I mentioned to Bama, the remote is worthy of consideration. Having that would eliminate re-docking the boat once it's floated off to raise the bunks out of the water.