Boat lift- Recommendation Low profile, MD,DE or NJ

markb8608

Reaction score
Hello All
I have a 225 Tournament and I am about to purchase a boat lift. I live in NJ, but looking at retailers in DE and MD. Does anyone have any experience with East Coast Boat Lift or Boat Lifts Unlimited, both of MD or DE? I am interested in a "low-profile" 4-post lift.
My price range is $3800 to $4400 for boat weight approx 5500lbs.

mark

Z4J

Reaction score
MD Lift

In my opinion it pays to go to 10,500 lift. Only a few dollars more because the lift is the same everything with a little more cable.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good advice. I had a 7k lift put in a few years ago which seemed plenty big at the time. Recently learned that my next boat weighs over 8k in the configuration I want so now have to deal with upgrading. Also, suggest you go with aluminum as opposed to galvanized.

Gary 89 Overnighter

Tim67580

Reaction score
I have had an IMM lift for about 5 years and have been nothing but pleased with it. Haven't done a bit of maintanence since I had it installed.

I have a 4post 10k limit lift with the GEM wireless remote. I keep a tournament 223 on it. I did pay close to 10k installed and however tha intcluded the pilings, lift, wiring, installation and setup to fit my boat properly.

I would reccomend it to a friend.

-Tim

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Another thought occurred to me. Some lifts have the cable anchored directly to the cradle (direct lift) and others have the cable going through a pulley on the cradle and anchored back up on the frame (2 to 1 reduction).

When you're lowering your boat and your cradle hits bottom, the cable can come unspooled from the shaft up top. Makes a mess and is a bear to straighten out. I have a 3" lead ball on each cable now so the cable stays tight even if I let it down too far. Two of my neighbors learned they can't use the lead balls because they interfer with the pulley travel. So, if there's any chance that your lift will hit bottom, go with the direct cable style and have the weights installed upon installation. Mine we around $120 after the fact.

By the way, I see many East Coast lifts installed around here but I have no experience with them.

Gary 89 Overnighter

Amigo

Reaction score
I purchased a Davit Master 11,000 lb capacity in 2004. I haved been very happy with how it has performed. It is the low priofile model with four pilings and 2 motors.

They have local installers in most locations.

I solved the "lowering it to far problem" by putting red plastic tape on the guide post. When the tape hits the water the cradle is deep enough for the boat to glide on.

http://www.davitmaster.com/

jfmagana

Reaction score
I have a 228 here in California on a 8K Hydrohoist lift and I'm super happy with it. 5 years so far of totally, 100% trouble-free service. Sometimes I feel bad because I don't do any maintenance on this thing whatsoever, but it just keeps on ticking. I bought mine used and the dealer did some refurbishment on it, so I got it much, much cheaper than a new one. My suggestion would be that you look around for a used lift...with the economy being as bad as it is, lots of people are getting rid of their boats and lifts...some great deals to be had out there.

markb8608

Reaction score
Thanks for recommendatiosn-Questions about cable length

Hello Guys
Thanks for all the great suggestions, especially the 'direct' vs. 'pulley' suggestions. I had no idea about the types of low profile lifts.
My area on the Toms River has very low tides and I would probably run into problems with putting the lift too low running off the pulley.
I also liked the idea of buying a used boat lift. (currently searching craigslist up and down North East). But wouldn't you end up with cable lengths that might be too short for my area. For example, we have the "occasionally Nor Easter which can put 3 foot white caps on the river. If I bought a used lift with too short of cable length- That would give me trouble in bad weather.
Any suggestions about cable length?
Thanks again for so much help.
Mark

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I doubt you'd find a lift with cables too short but if you did, it wouldn't be that big a deal for your lift guy to recable it. Your post about high waves reminded me of another thing to consider. My neighbor has a permanent crease in his forehead from bumping his head on the frame of his lift. I paid extra to have the poles supporting my lift to be higher above my dock so I wouldn't brain myself like he has so many times.

Gary 89 Overnighter

markb8608

Reaction score
cats meow-"no profile-out" of my league

Hi
Wow that "no profile is really something.But that is out of my league(price range). I will follow everyone's advice and buy a used one from craigslist.
However, I did like the price on the "east coast boat lifts" You can get a new one (with warranty ) for about $3800.
Craigslist has slowed down (maybe because of winter). I am looking from central NJ to lower Maryland.
Have a good holiday everyone.
mark