Boat ramp in Marathon FL suitable for Marlin

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Applying for permit to trailer the boat down to the keys this year and realized I don't know which boat ramp to use. First year with this boat and the 22 footer was easily launched from Key Colony but I doubt I'm dropping Seadated in that one. I did quick search and found some that say up to 34 foot boat but would like some confirmation on one to alleviate some aggravation once in vacation mode.
This is the one claiming it will take the boat, Mile Marker 54.6 Ramp (The Old Quay Ramp)...Bayside US Rte. 1 anyone used this one or recommend another?
Thanks
Nick

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Quay ramp is tight to get into and shallow at low tide if you can get it in. However it is rebuild and better than it was. There is a ramp I would recommend down further on the right side by the sherrifs/police station. I launched my 270 islander from the this ramp and it can handle it. Easier to back in etc...deep...I will try and find the name of the ramp. It is on the Gulfside. It is about a 4 mile run back to Key Colony via the Vaca Cut.

I too now have a 2005 Marlin. We took her down to Key Colony last summer, drove her from Tampa. Put close to 700 miles on her. I was also just in KKB last week. However I went boatless! We have a place on 10th street and used the quay ramp for years. Good YT fishing on the reef!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hawks Cay Marina, MM# 62 or so.

It's kind of tight trailering in there.. It's a small parking/turnaround area with shrubs and low palms, but the water is deep enough and the ramp is wide and top-notch.

You'll have to go out into the Straits thru the perimeter canal that leads past the dolphin pen and the Resort area. From the marked channel to open water, it's a short run down to Marathon. You can see the single hi-rise condo that is next to the Key Colony entrance.

There is a fee, payable at the marina office. Not sure how much.

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The ramp I was speaking of the is the 33rd street public ramp. I think you can google it for more info.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
REBThunderroad said:
The ramp I was speaking of the is the 33rd street public ramp. I think you can google it for more info.
Thanks, I will check it out.
Nick

G8RDave

Reaction score
The ramp in Coco Plum should be able to handle it easily. There's a fee but it's only a couple dollars. I'll see if I can find the info on it.

cgmiller

Reaction score
My dad goes to Key Colony Beach every winter. We have used most of the ramps in the area. The one on the Sedorsky (spelling) boulevard is a good ramp, protected adn easy to get in and out of. It will cost you $10. The new ramp just past the Quay is in real nice shape now, but the parking area is real tight and maneuvering a long trailer would be difficult. I used the ramp behind the bonefish place and got pulled down by the boat..will not use that one again and I have used the ramp at the motel on Vaca Cut and sliced a tire on the coral wall...wont use that one again either. So my bet would be the ramp on the causeway at vacation boat rentals. The quay ramp is often covered with grass.