Boat value

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What is the best way to get a value for your boat? Thinking of selling mine after the season. Hasn’t been used but once since August. Didn’t use it once in September and it is starting to be end of season on CT.

2003 Seafaer 226
Hardtop
Bow pulpit
New Garmin radar and gps/fish finder combo.
02 F225 has mid section replaced two years ago.
About 1200 hours.

Has a couple issues that need addressing but would build that into the price.

Last edited:

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What is the best way to get a value for your boat? Thinking of selling mine after the season. Hasn’t been used but once since August. Didn’t use it once in September and it is starting to be end of season on CT.

2003 Seafaer 226
Hardtop
Bow pulpit
New Garmin radar and gps/fish finder combo.
02 F225 has mid section replaced two years ago.
About 1200 hours.

Has a couple issues that need addressing but would build that into the price.
I recently went though a one year search for the same model boat. Location plays a huge roll in pricing. Hate to say it but that motor is a detriment (dry exhaust issue) to an informed buyer. Kinda like the Ficht was a few years back. Check comps. The positive is it is a desirable model and there are limited number for sale. Good luck

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
But the informed buyer will note that the exhaust was done 2 years ago to address the dry exhaust corrosion. Mine was also done 2 years ago and shows no sign of any issues with 1270 hours. As long as he has receipts for the work being done and upon inspection, shows no sign of it returning, he will be fine.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd look at comps. Check boat trader then list on craigs list if you want low cost.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
But the informed buyer will note that the exhaust was done 2 years ago to address the dry exhaust corrosion. Mine was also done 2 years ago and shows no sign of any issues with 1270 hours. As long as he has receipts for the work being done and upon inspection, shows no sign of it returning, he will be fine.

All receipts in hand and work done by a certified Yamaha dealer.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am not saying the concern is warranted. I’m saying that those that have researched the issue may be hesitant to purchase the boat without taking the motor in to concideration. The documented repairs will surely help put potential buyers minds at ease. There is unfortunately a negative stigma associated with that motor. I passed on a 226 with an 04 F225 that the owner had bore scope pictures of. I bought mine knowing I would be investing $20k very shortly on new power.

I am sure it will sell for a very good price and in no way was my response meant to be disrespectful.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am not saying the concern is warranted. I’m saying that those that have researched the issue may be hesitant to purchase the boat without taking the motor in to concideration. The documented repairs will surely help put potential buyers minds at ease. There is unfortunately a negative stigma associated with that motor. I passed on a 226 with an 04 F225 that the owner had bore scope pictures of. I bought mine knowing I would be investing $20k very shortly on new power.

I am sure it will sell for a very good price and in no way was my response meant to be disrespectful.

No disrespect you have valid points. It is what it is. Yamaha screwed people between 2002-2004 with that issue. The only thing I can hope for is that it shows no sign of returning and the receipts show the work done. I replaced it in April of 2016 along with the oil pump and 1000 hour service.

Was thinking 25k with trailer. Still thinking if I want to sell.

Last edited:

Lsquared

Reaction score
http://nadaguides.com would be about the best way you can get a value for your boat. in my experience if someone is going to finance it, the banks look at nada for the value.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd use NADA as guide. Look at BoatTrader, Yachtworld and the likes to get an idea on the market and reduce the price for known issues that need fixing, or fix them and stay steady on your price. Have a reasonable bottom line that you will be happy with and negotiate between asking price and bottom dollar. If you don't get what you're wanting out of it, hang on to it and continue to enjoy it. I sold my last boat(not a Grady),and should have sat on it untill my head cleared after a dark time I went through, really missed it after my head cleared. But,,,,,, I'm back and loving my 228,,it's my happy place!!