Bottom Paint

Bill T.

Reaction score
Hello All,
Boy, I just got one thing addressed and found out how great this site is. New question/discussion. BOTTOM PAINT

The paint on the bottom of my 1987 204C is sparse to say the least. I don't know what it is, but it appears to have worn away. That make sense? Here is my dilemma. A Surveyor friend of mine thinks I should use Pettits Hydrocoat Ablative Antifouling Finish. My local Marine store is trying to get me to go with Interlux's Bottom paint at aprox 2-1/2 times the money. Our boat is moored in a Brackish river.

Thanks for all input, :?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No dilemma at all, same with, why is a Grady at so many $$ thousand more than the other brand?

The ablative paints fret away, in their entire thicknesses and you can leave them out of the water as long as one wants w/o reapplication. The othe paints may have 30 day max out of water times, etc, and only a portion of their thicknesses are active foulers. The ablatives fret away entirely so, in theory, you never have to blast the bottom in the future due to buildup.

I use one of the more expensive paints, why, since I do the labor myself, I'm saving there, and I'm too busy to try out different paints or brands.

Interlux Micron Extra on the fiberglass, trilux 33 on the aluminum.
I get the Micron for $160 per gallon on sale.

Bill T.

Reaction score
BobP said:
No dilemma at all, same with, why is a Grady at so many $$ thousand more than the other brand?

The ablative paints fret away, in their entire thicknesses and you can leave them out of the water as long as one wants w/o reapplication. The othe paints may have 30 day max out of water times, etc, and only a portion of their thicknesses are active foulers. The ablatives fret away entirely so, in theory, you never have to blast the bottom in the future due to buildup.

I use one of the more expensive paints, why, since I do the labor myself, I'm saving there, and I'm too busy to try out different paints or brands.

Interlux Micron Extra on the fiberglass, trilux 33 on the aluminum.
I get the Micron for $160 per gallon on sale.

Thanks for the input Bob. Is the Interlux Micron an Ablative paint? How often do you have to repaint? This Grady that we have won't get a LOT of use, probably 100-150 hours a season. We are older and just don't go out much anymore. Our last boat, a 30' sportfish, we used a lot until the last few years. The kids are all gone so we down sized to this Grady 204C. What would you say about Ablative paint in this case? Thanks in advance.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Interlux Micron Extra is an ablative paint.

I'm not a paint expert, the ablative paints avoid the buildup, and they are multi-season, at least the Micron is. Where I bought the boat in Ocean City, MD, the Grady dealer used the same bottom paint on all his boats.

Where I am and how I use the boat, one coat is good for better than one season, except for the areas that may peel and need to be touched up.

So, if I put on two coats at a time, I don't paint the second season, just touch it up. I can do one pass on my Sailfish with about 3/4 of a gallon.

I don't know the difference in performance to justify the price adder over the Pettit. Others may jump in on the Pettit products with their experience. I have always used Interlux, not that there is anything wrong with Pettit.

Bill T.

Reaction score
BobP said:
Interlux Micron Extra is an ablative paint.

I'm not a paint expert, the ablative paints avoid the buildup, and they are multi-season, at least the Micron is. Where I bought the boat in Ocean City, MD, the Grady dealer used the same bottom paint on all his boats.

Where I am and how I use the boat, one coat is good for better than one season, except for the areas that may peel and need to be touched up.

So, if I put on two coats at a time, I don't paint the second season, just touch it up. I can do one pass on my Sailfish with about 3/4 of a gallon.

I don't know the difference in performance to justify the price adder over the Pettit. Others may jump in on the Pettit products with their experience. I have always used Interlux, not that there is anything wrong with Pettit.

Bob,
I know I'm doing this wrong, by hitting "Quote" How would I answer you without hitting quote? Oh, and another thing, how does the PM work?

As to your last response, I have always used Interlux in the past, on our Tolly. I actually went the whole route and stripped the Tolly and did the barrier coat job. EXPENSIVE. I was just trying to get some info about what my friend said about the Pettit Hydrocoat. I think I will lean toward Interlux, check out the compatibility of it over a unknown bottom paint (on the boat now).

Thanks,

gerrys

Reaction score
Interlux Micron Extra with Biolux is a great paint. In warm Florida waters 2 coats properly applied will give me about 18 months. The wear is even. Make sure that your boat is properly prepped. If you're not sure what paint has been applied before, it's best to sand down to the barrier coat and begin there.

Bill T.

Reaction score
gerrys said:
Interlux Micron Extra with Biolux is a great paint. In warm Florida waters 2 coats properly applied will give me about 18 months. The wear is even. Make sure that your boat is properly prepped. If you're not sure what paint has been applied before, it's best to sand down to the barrier coat and begin there.

Thanks for the input Gerry. Actually, the Tollycraft was the boat with the barrier coat job. This Grady is "paint unknown" I have talked with the Interlux guy at the boat show, and I know that Interlux has paint that will go over anything. I will check them out also. :?:

flyboy911

Reaction score
I bought a 30' Bimini with a bottm that was in need of attention. I had the old product removed to the gelcoat and applied 2 coats of Interlux epoxy primer. I then used Petit's Vivd. 2 coats. It is a hard ablative that is designed for boats that are stored both in & out of the water. It was a very nice paint that met our needs. Most paint's are good....Just determine what your needs are and select the correct product for your application. Good luck!

IMG_7551_1_1.jpg

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use Micron CSC (ablative). Nothing at all wrong with Pettit. As a matter of fact my Grady dealer only uses Pettit Hydrocoat. He claims it does very well for the northeast 6mo season and is a lot cheaper(if you can call paying over $100 for a gal of paint cheap). I stick with CSC only because I have used it a lot and it does a great job. The brand of paint you use and the amount of copper, biocides etc that are in it probably becomes more important as you move further south to warmer waters and your boat remains in a slip most of the year.

One thing you should consider. If you take off the bottom paint you have on now then put on an epoxy coat as a base coat and make it a different color than the ablative bottom paint you want to use year after year. That way when you start to see the other color coming through you know it is time to put another coat on that part of your hull. Being in the northeast we occassionally have summers with limited boating weather and I always wonder how much of the most recent coat of paint is still on the boat.

gerrys

Reaction score
10/4. my overcoat is black. When I see red bleeding through, It's time for bottom coat.

Bill T.

Reaction score
Hello All,

I appreciate all the replies you have made over the last few weeks.
I am in Florida at the present time, relaxing. When we get back to MA I will once again get working on this bottom painting job.

Thanks again folks appreciated. :D

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I would talk to a some people you trust in the area where you are keeping your boat. There may be a better paint for your location, but I would not get all worked up about it.

If you keep your boat in all the time, then a hard coat is best - but they do loose their effectiveness after a 2-4 weeks out of the water. I doubt you will be keeping a boat this size in 100% of the time, so we are likely talking ablative.

I think you can't go wrong with any of them. It seems every year the yard recommends a new one based on regs and ease-of (mostly install) up here in the northeast. I get 3 years up here, likely less down there.

Personally, I'd go with the less expensive one. Look on the bright side in 2-3 years it will be time to do it again....

Fishtales

Reaction score
Bill,
Sorry, I thought you were in Fla. Had a couple of coldies....
Pettis is fine. I'd get a creeper, throw away bunny suit, a shield and a respspirator and have at it. If not, have someone do it. The NE does not have the growth issues of the warmer water.