bottom paint

taczk

Reaction score
Took delivery of my new 257 Advance last week and I am looking for recommendations for bottom paint for Wisc/Great Lakes use.

After consideration I've decided to moor the boat at a Marina on a large local lake and trailer to Lake Michigan and Lake Superior periodically.

Do most folks use a black color or something more to match the Grady hull?

Thanks for any recommendations. This is my first owned boat and I'm so pleased with my purchase so far. I grew up on the ocean out east so was familiar with the brand

Tim

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
I use black ablative West Marine CPP with great results (brackish saltwater).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome!

Most Gradys today get black bottom paint, the older ones used to see a lot of blue around. The black and beige gelcoat go together well I think.
And you don't see the waterline scum on black, yes on blue.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have seen on some of the manufacturers website a "selection program". Try either Pettit or Interlux for starters.

My boat is in freshwater most of the year but pulled out and trailered a couple of times a year. All the recommendations I got were for and ablative paint vs. a hard coat. I think you will find the same to be true for you. You should install a barrier coat if the boat has never been painted.

I have tried both black and dark blue on my boat. The blue looked great when applied but did show stains and faded as mentioned. Just had it repainted in black this time. Also switched from Interlux Micron to Pettit Vivid. The Vivid has a much deeper color and what appears to be a harder, smoother surface. We'll see how it holds up. i was getting 2 to 3 years out of the Interlux.

T19

Reaction score
Use two colors for your bottom paint! First coat on is your second choice then black looks the best. When you start to see the second color coming through it's time to repaint. I have blue under my black bottom paint.
Josh

seasick

Reaction score
Unless you use a paint that is rated for multi-season, you probably will paint every year. Alternate colors each year and it is easier to see wear and touch up as necessary mid seson.
Note that for a new boat, surface prep is paramount for a good piant job. new boats can have waxes or other sealers that will cause premature paint failure if not properly prepped.