Bracket material

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How do you determine if a bracket is made from steel or alum. since SS is non magnetic? Also, is there anything that should be looked at closely when considering a bracketed boat? Any and all input greatly appreciated, especially yours Jimmy (btw-your son safe?)

gw204

Reaction score
Unless the bracket was made by some no name with zero knowledge of metal, it's gonna be aluminum. Stainless steel would be too heavy, plain steel would rust out too easily and have the same weight issue as stainless.

The only materials I've ever seen used in a good bracket are aluminum or fiberglass. Stainless Marine uses AL, Armstrong uses AL, D&D uses AL, Gil and Springfield (OEM suppliers for Grad) use AL, Hermco uses glass. Glass is prefereable because it has zero corrosion issues.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
cdwood said:
How do you determine if a bracket is made from steel or alum. since SS is non magnetic? Also, is there anything that should be looked at closely when considering a bracketed boat? Any and all input greatly appreciated, especially yours Jimmy (btw-your son safe?)

hey chris !!! jimmy's just fine,thanks for asking...
brackets,interesting stuff here my friend...most are made from aluminum,be careful of the paint that's being used on it,remember the pics i post-if it doesn't look like those,be real careful !!!!
personally,i like the fiberglass floatation brackets,but hey that's me...and if ya really wanna know the truth,i prefer the open transom boats to fish out of-it's much easier to battle a big boy...

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
2 reasons for this post

1st for my own information and 2nd, a friend of mine has a 23' hydrosport CC. He is convinced that his bracket is SS and paints it accordingly. He's a very good friend and if he is asking for trouble here I would like to be able to show him the facts. Obviously bracket is painted, so how can you determine what this thing is made of?

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
Re: 2 reasons for this post

cdwood said:
1st for my own information and 2nd, a friend of mine has a 23' hydrosport CC. He is convinced that his bracket is SS and paints it accordingly. He's a very good friend and if he is asking for trouble here I would like to be able to show him the facts. Obviously bracket is painted, so how can you determine what this thing is made of?

if the bracket states "stainless marine" on it,it's an aluminum bracket,not stainless steel...
scrape the paint slightly,inside the inspection port,look at the metal...but trust me,it's certainly not stainless steel,it's gonna be aluminum....

johngw

Reaction score
Re: 2 reasons for this post

jimmy's marine service said:
cdwood said:

if the bracket states "stainless marine" on it,it's an aluminum bracket,not stainless steel...
scrape the paint slightly,inside the inspection port,look at the metal...but trust me,it's certainly not stainless steel,it's gonna be aluminum....

Not true. Stainless Marine did use stainless for a long time. They were found on many Chris Craft boats. They were also popular with the upper end repower centers. Cost made the company switch over to aluminum if I had to guess around 1994.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Drill a small hole in an inconspicuous place - if it's realtively easy then it's aluminum. Stainless will be much more difficult ... :wink: