bunk trailers vs roller trailer

grady 306 bimini

Reaction score
is it true that a roller trailer will void your hull waranty when a bunk trailer will not. one of the big differences is when launching / recovering rollers are eaiser, but roller trailers will put pressure on strakes where a roller wont ?
Whats your imput
thanks
tim

Hoghunter

Reaction score
I've been hauling large Grady's around on a roller/bunk combo trailer for years. No problems.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
I had my boat (92 25 SF) hauled last fall, it was the 1st time in the boats life that it had been on a roller trailer. I had a small crack in the starbord strake and the port strake was crushed at the tailing end. I know the rollers caused the damage (you could see the tracks). However, when I started asking around, it turns out that this is not that un-common, I talked to at least 3 other Grady owners that had-had the same issue. When the hull was laid there must have been an air pocket which caused the weak spot(s) ......

Just FYI .......... Tom

Tundra1

Reaction score
Grady Owners manual states either roller or bunk trailer is fine. One thing I find interesting is south of NJ you hardly ever see a roller trailer, north of that not a lot of bunks more rollers. Exceptions to both rules, I know.

Jim

Bates

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Gulfstream on a roller and no problem. One reason you see more rollers up north has to due with the tide change. The difference between high and low up north is much greater and the ramps are steeper. Ever try to drive a boat on a bunk trailer at low tide, really hard sometimes where as a roller unit allows you to run right up. If the Dealer properly positions the roller banks you should not have any problems. If the ramp is too steep you may hav to install a roller and pads on the axels and cross members to prevent damage to the keel.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bates said:
I have a 2007 Gulfstream on a roller and no problem. One reason you see more rollers up north has to due with the tide change. The difference between high and low up north is much greater and the ramps are steeper. Ever try to drive a boat on a bunk trailer at low tide, really hard sometimes where as a roller unit allows you to run right up. If the Dealer properly positions the roller banks you should not have any problems. If the ramp is too steep you may hav to install a roller and pads on the axels and cross members to prevent damage to the keel.

Same thing from CA to WA. Tidal swings.
The steeper the ramp, the tougher it is with a bunk. But really, if you set the trailer at the right depth you can drive a boat onto either. You just have to have some water over the bunks, but you can winch a boat right up on the rollers.

I always thought the guys with the rollers and the trailer way up on the ramp were a little goofy. Back 'er down and drive 'er on.

Reminds me of the guy at the ramp with an old van, shouldn't even have been towing the big boat he had. It had a huge bow pulpit and anchor hanging down. When he drove it onto the trailer, the stem missed the roller and the pulpit went right throught the back windows of his van. Geez, you couldn't help but laugh. The ramps can be an afternoon of entertainment.