Burn Rate

Gstream232

Reaction score
At the end of last season, I purchased a 1998 Gulfstream with a 250 Yamaha mounted on a bracket. The boat runs fine. It has functional trim tabs and everything seems "normal." I only used it several times and was not able to get a good estimate regarding the burn rate. The previous owner claimed that the engine consumed about 12 gallons / hour under normal conditions. Does this sound about right? In advance, thanks for your input.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
What type of Yamaha engine..OX66 perhaps..? I could give you some apprx. burn rates if that be the case.

grady23

Reaction score
Because there are so many variables that affect fuel consumption it would be hard to say if 12 GPH is accurate. It depends on sea conditions, tide direction, # of passengers, fuel load, extra gear and such. I have carb twin 150's and when cruising at 24Knts, I'm burning about 15/Hr.

jaamm1

Reaction score
I just completetd my first full seasom with my 99 gulfstream with OX66 250. I use a Navman fuel management system and here are my numbers on slick water, curtains on and 100 gals of fuel.
4500 RPM
Trim Tabs tucket away
Motor trimmed about three Bars on the ind. (don't know what angle that is)
29 MPH (on GPS)
Burn rate is .47 gals. per mile.
That's what I watch. I like to keep my burn rate at or about 2 mile per gal.