Buying an “underpowered” gulfstream

Pfeehley

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hey all, I’m new here. Longtime Grady fan but never an owner until maybe now with a little help from some of you with experience....

I’m hunting for a gulfstream. I’ve got 3 kids 1,7,10 so the gulfstream really fits our needs. Great fish ability, roomy with the wide beam, and a nice cabin for the little ones to get away and rest for long days at the local swimming holes. We will mainly use it in the Chesapeake bay/middle river areas, no plans for any long range trips or offshore fishing.

After looking at a few, I’ve found a used gulfstream locally. 2001, meticulously maintained, good electronics, trailer, hardtop, bracket, overall really good shape. Here’s the only “downfall”. It’s got a 2008 Yamaha F225(600 hrs). I’ve researched a ton of forums and I really get a mixed bag of answers but I hear a lot of stories about how bad these boats are with anything less than a single 300 or twins. I don’t need to go 40+mph anywhere especially with kids on board 75% of the time. The boat is within my budget and everything is perfect minus the potential short comings of this motor. I still need to sea trial this week to really make a decision but given what my plans are, what do you all think?

At my budget point, I’m having trouble finding a gulfstream with the perfect boat and power package, it’s usually one or the other. I’m not against repowering down the road. Pic of the boat in question attached. Help!

Attachments

• 6616CBAD-5B2F-4E47-862A-5396A189F36F.png
    6616CBAD-5B2F-4E47-862A-5396A189F36F.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 85

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Great boat, staying inside you be fine. Offshore with fuel, gear, people, not enough power . That’s a big
boat , that motor works hard.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It is a little under powered but you really have to decide your use case and if this fits.
I like the twin 150 for redundancy more than anything. If the price was right - I'd work it due to being underpowered you may be able to get a good price assuming it fits your needs. Your probably repowering at some point in the future anyway. Ensure the midsection on the motor has been done.

Reactions: Willy-C

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with above posts. 225hp is on the low side for powering a Gulfstream, but if it will get up on plane with full load of fuel, 4 or 5 people, plus gear, etc., and meets your speed requirements, and you can get it at a very good price, then maybe it's the one for you. Recommend a sea trial to see how it performs with that outboard, noting how much fuel it's presently carrying, plus other weight. Would also recommend having a surveyor do a thorough inspection on any vessel of that vintage before pulling trigger on buying. Could be the best money you've ever spent.

Zebulon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think the sea trial will answer your question. It's a great platform......hope the power fits your needs.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have a 250HP on my 24 Offshore. I think the Gulfstream is a bit heavier, but not by a huge amount? My boat absolutely screams out of the hole. With only dropping 25HP I think you'll do just fine with that. Sea trial is the key, but I wouldn't avoid the boat because of the 225HP.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
She is way underpowered for my liking especially for offshore fishing . It should work OK for you with the correct pitch prop. You probably need a 15" pitch on that motor .
Go on sea trial and see how she goes. Take note of the load including fuel and the RPM at WOT. If she is not revving close to max RPM you may need a smaller pitch prop.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Have it surveyed and take it for a sea trial and form your own opinion. The WOT speed will probably be around 34 mph. If the power is acceptable, and the survey checks out, buy the boat and run it for a year or two. If you still like it, repower it in a few years.

UCPA111

Reaction score
The boat does look clean and well maintained. If you can get at the right price...see how it does for you. You could repower down the road if it bothers you. Of course, I know that isn't an inexpensive proposition, but if the price is right you start off in the right place and have a solid boat as well.

A Mercury Verado 400 would probably make that thing scream...LOL! I love my 300!

Bumpye

Reaction score
I have a 2003 GS with a 225. You won't get 40 MPH for sure, but for me it suits me fine. The only time I feel it's under powered is with a full crew (10 bodies, Children and adults) although it will get up on plane. Just takes a bit to get there. Otherwise I'm usually inshore with a total of 4-5 souls with no issues. By myself under perfect conditions she'll reach 37 MPH. Most of the time I'm cruising in the 25 to 30 range. Love the boat BTW, perfect for fishing or cruising with the fam.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'd get it if it could get out of the hole. So what it you cannot go 50mph... heh.. me, I like twin engines, but... not to go fast, just for redundancy. Everyone and their dog on other forums will tell you go big or go home. The beauty of this site is they will tell you it is under powered, but will work if you are fine with it, and... we will also enjoy the pictures no matter what.

Better to go 30mph and be happy than go 50mph and be broke...

R

Reactions: Legend

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had a Gulfstream with an F225. I would not describe the boat as underpowered. We did full crews of 4-5 guys plus gear coolers etc fishing trips 20-30 miles offshore regularly and many 60 trips to Nantucket with no issues. Like any boat, ideally it is nice to have more power but when I owned the boat I never felt it was underpowered and enjoyed every minute of it.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
^^^ Exactly. If you are happy with the test drive, then go for it! I bet those 4 folks onboard will not complain if they get to the fish ;)

R

WOOF

Reaction score
I repowered last year from tired Yamaha 150's to new Zuk 175's. Changed the performance completely for the boat. Personally, I like the fact that at 3800rpms the boat is on plane cruising around 23kts and is very quiet.

Pfeehley

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I bought the boat and I’m in love! I’ve wanted a gulfstream for 10+ years and extremely pleased with just about everything so far. Motor works hard but I think it’s a matter of playing with the prop...see my other post...basically I’m looking for some advice from you guys with the same setup..I’ve got a 14 1/4 x17 pitch prop and I’m not liking the high rpm cruising. What prop are you guys running to get in the 4K range with a solid 25-30 cruise?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good for you. Wish you all the best with her.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I would like to suggest you investigate a 4 blade prop. It will give you some added stern lift, better cruise performance and following sea handling. It does for my 228. Nice boat. Congrats.

bea5454

Reaction score
Congrats! I ran a gulfstream for 10 years with a single 250 often running 50+ miles south of MV. Expect you should drop to 15" pitch in swsII series. Will not be realistic to cruise 25-30 at 4K. I likely have on here posted pretty detailed performance data. My typical cruise was 4600-4800 which resulted in 25-30 statute mph depending on load and conditions. When not loaded for fishing could do 4200-4300 at 25-ish mph. Top speed was likely 36.5 mph light load, ideal conditions at 5800.

Enjoy her!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congratulations you will enjoy that boat - you will see what they mean when they say if does not feel like a 23 footer.!

Reactions: WOOF