buying boat, travel to marina or not???

wdlfbio

Reaction score
2007 Grady White 282 Sailfish, Yamaha F250s with 79.3 hours on them both. Motors warrantied til 16 July. Bottom paint, Garmin 4208. On a upgraded Magic Tilt tandem torsion axle, 11k net capacity (so bare minimum). Offer has been accepted and I'm trying to decide whether to spend the cash, $700-$1200 to fly out for a sea trial and visual inspection, plus costs for survey and compression test. Or, go with a survey and compression check without me touching her until she shows up at the house in Seattle, WA. Boat is coming from Florida.

What do you guys think?

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am a pretty handy guy and prefer to see things for myself, along with the experts (marine outboard engine mechanic and surveyor). I can't see myself spending roughly $100K on a used boat and not seeing it with my own eyes first. I urge you to spend the time and money. You may learn things that you would have otherwise never known.

The professionals will often comment on areas of concern that you may need to pay attention to. Or perhaps they can point out some features that you may not be aware of. For example my surveyor gave me a basic course on using my new (to me) electronics. My engine guy gave me tips on doing the maintence myself and what to keep an eye on with my year and model outboards.

Good luck with the new boat.

uncljohn

Reaction score
people sell relatively brand new boats because:

a) they're upgrading to something newer
b) they can't afford the boat
c) something happened to it and they want to unload it

If its "a", then likely the boats been well maintained and there should be realtively nothing to worry about.

If its "b", then its possible thy didn't care for it as well as they should have

If its "c", then you have a lot to worry about....and they never tell you "c" in the product description.

I wouldn't buy a boat w/o personally inspecting it or having a friend act as your proxy and inspect it for you.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Twin Cities Marine in Two Rivers WI has a brand new 2007 Sailfish in stock. Magical Bill loves that dealership. He bought his Gulfstream from them and swears by them. I would give them a call and try to work something out. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the survey, engines, condition etc.,plus you could put your own choice of electronics on it. Good luck with whichever boat you end up with.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If I were spending that kind of money I would either see it for myself and find someone in the area with a good rep to go over it in a survey. I would also request lots of pix from the survey before I closed the deal.

Fishtales

Reaction score
One word... Go.

You will learn a lot and gain some insight from the surveyor. To spend that type of cash and not go test drive and witness the survey is not rational.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Fly it is short money.

Remember one thing as well, the salinity and hence corrosive environment in Florida is much higher than in Seattle the same can be said for UV degradation, the surveyors perspective on this issue will be in tune with local experience and not in tune with your eye.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Where in FL is the boat? Perhaps someone on the board is not too far away and can go climb all over it and take some pics for you.

I've done that on at least 3 different occasions for fellow posters on either GG or THT who were interested in buying a boat that was nearby. Didn't mind at all....

wdlfbio

Reaction score
I decided to head out. Being there in person will help me learn the boat as well as any little issues first hand. It's used. I don't expect perfection. Price is very good too. It's also piece of mind like most mentioned. Spending a little more now could save lots more later.

But, I have no Grady experience, so if anyone (very knowledgable) on the forum wants to jump around on her Saturday with me. That would be great. I leave Seattle at 2345 Friday and arrive at 0845 Saturday.

Laurence.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
wdlfbio said:
I decided to head out. Being there in person will help me learn the boat as well as any little issues first hand. It's used. I don't expect perfection. Price is very good too. It's also piece of mind like most mentioned. Spending a little more now could save lots more later.

I think you made a wise decision being there. When I was looking for my 228 I saw many photos that looked great but it was a different story when I went in person. Relying on photos or someone else's description could turn into a big dollar mistake. Good luck!