Cabin Window Leaking on 232 Gulfstream

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the port window leaking on a 2004 232. Not windshields or side windows, lower cabin windows. Has anyone had these apart? Any hints ? I would like to reseal, but would like to know any surprizes in advance. TY Jim

Jas

Reaction score
If I am reading your issue correctly, this is the port side fixed window, not the portal that hinges up to open and closes with a turn latch . I also had a leak on the port side window, a problem that is not uncommon in Grady’s I think, but would have thought they’d had it fixed by the ’04 model.

The fix wasn’t too difficult. Removed all the screws holding it in. Made sure I had a dry day forecasted, and used the 3M 4200 to reseal it. The 4200 can be a little tricky to use, so take care. Once applied it’s tough to get off, but not impossible, so you need to be careful where you put it. Be sure to have plenty of rags and Acetone on hand for the clean up. Resealed the screws with just a dab of 4200. That was two years ago and she’s been dry since.

bc282

Reaction score
i hear your pair.
my '02 282 port cuddy window also leaks :evil:
thanks for the fix tip.
i'll try to fix this Feb. when i go down to the boat.

PS. glad to hear it's a relatively easy fix, sad to hear that it's a common fix.

greenhabah

Reaction score
I also have a leak in the port cabin window that slides open.
How do you get to the screws? I assume they are behind the frame. Does the metal frame around the window just pop off? I know there is a frame on the inside, but can't remember what is around the window on the outside. If there is a frame on the outside do I need to pop that off too?

bc282

Reaction score
well, i finally got a chance to fix the window.
The root of the leak has to do with the installation at the factory :evil:
The port window is likely cut out manually and not with a computer controlled machine.

These are the steps i took to fix my port window:

1. i removed the padded shelf on the port side to access the window
2. i removed the inside window trim detail (serves to hide the install clips, etc)
3. unscrewed or "forceably" pulled off the 18 alum. window screw clips; about half came off easily, but the rest which were affected by the water/salt water thru the window leak were seized and i either broke the stainless screw heads off trying to back it out or i had to wrench them off and fix them later).
4. removed window from boat and prepped for re-install (remove old rubber finned gasket material, sanded down small corroded spots on the alum. window frame, re-painted window frame)
5. used grinding attachment on Dremel to remove about 1/4" of F/G material at the top and top right to make the window fit properly. The original cut out made the window fit poorly and when i pulled the window trim off, i could see a hairline thin crack of daylight between the cuddy and the window's right perimeter edge which makes sense why the water and corrosion was on the left side of the window (water comes down, hits the window gap and naturally flows down the low left side)
6. cleaned up the 18 alum clips, replaced all the S/S screws with same size but new screws. Used penetrating oil and good old fashion stubborn elbow grease to remove broken or stuck screws and even drilled and tapped a few where i couldn't get the old seized screw out of the clip (this was the most difficult and pain the azz part. I tried and tried to find replacement clips, but when i couldn't find any i had to re-use and fix the originals).
7. dry fit the window for good fit
8. i used window installer's butyl tape (5/8" wide x 1/16" thick, i love this stuff!) in lieu of the original rubber gasket.
9. placed window in position (butyl tape is sticky so it'll hold the window and allow you to install the clips without having someone else hold the window for you)
9. re-installed clips, trim, and padded port shelf with the curtains (after i cleaned that up, pulled the rusted staples and re-stapled with S/S staples).
10. the clips pulled the window tight against the cuddy and so squeezed a bit of the butyl tape out, so with a razor blade carefully removed the excess tape.

i did not use 4200 or any Si/polyurethane sealant afterwards as the butyl tape will remain flexible and watertight.

Overall difficult is low, but took a good half day (not including overnite paint to dry on the frame).

If you remove the inside window trim and see the similar hairline gap/crack of daylight coming thru, you can do the same as i did for a permanent fix or just add a bead of marine silicone around the top of the window on the outside to cover the gap/crack for a good temporary fix.

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply !
I also repaired (removed both windows and resealed) both sides of my boat.
What a unprofessional job the "factory install" was. The hole was larger than needed.
If after install the "window" leaks I would go to the window manufacture.

If some dufass cuts the hole to big and then hides it, "it is GRADY WHITE'S problem. It is under warranty and if Eddy is not accepting the responsibility, he's wrong!!!
Not a bad job, when its dry out.
Jim