Can't get full throttle on F225 4.2L

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I purchased the new engine I moved the old prop to the new motor. It was a 15 1/4 X 19 three blade. It was obviously too much prop and given that the lower unit ratio is higher geared than the old one I wasn't surprised. It would only turn it about 5200 rpm/WOT. I bought a 15 1/4 X 17 three blade and the rpm at WOT only came up to about 5400. Approx. same load. The engine just didn't seem like it was going all out.

I was looking over the engine a few days ago about a different issue and decided to take a look at the throttle linkage and make sure the throttle plate was going full throttle. I have the mechanical model called XB. I thought the "mechanical" designation meant that it was like the old 3.3L in that it was a mechanical linkage all the way to the throttle plate but that is not the case. It is only mechanical to the end of the cable from the binnacle, where it is connected to the actuating arm of a potentiometer. From there it is "fly by wire" to a slave potentiometer which positions the throttle plate. To test whether it was going full throttle, I turned on the master switch.....turned the key to the "ON" position....pushed in the shifter disconnect and advanced the throttle lever on the binnacle to "FULL". When I looked down the throat of the intake I could see that the butterfly lacked quite a lot reaching the proper full throttle setting. That being, the plate aligning perfectly parallel with the air stream in the throat of the intake. There is additional travel available on the potentiometer arm where the control cable is attached so I manually advanced that arm to full stop while watching the butterfly. No change. If any of you guys are up on the workings of this system I would sure like to hear your thoughts on why that throttle butterfly isn't opening completely. I do wonder if the computer won't open it fully unless it senses the engine is running. I haven't had a chance to observe it at full throttle on the water. Here is a picture looking straight down the throat. I know if this was your drag car you wouldn't take it to the strip like this. Ideas??

8XnIqvhl.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Perhaps someone has hands on experience with the prop selection but the change in WOT you saw is exactly what one would expect with a 1 inch change in pitch.
I don't know if that motor does limit the revs if not in gear but I do know that my Mercs do and will both limit the revs as well as generate an alarm.
There was an issue with corroded throttle plate shafts for the 2006 model year but that often limited the throttle plat movement to 1/3 or so of open.
It is also possible that you have a fuel restriction due to clogged VST screen or other filter. In that case though, I would expect the motor not to have a steady rev limit but rather a more up and down symptom like surging. Hopefully it is just simple prop selection

Last edited:

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What model boat and is the mounting height the same as prior? Maybe it's burried?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seasick, the prop pitch change was 2 inches.

mleads, the boat is a 205 Tournament and it is mounted in the second hole from the top as recommended by GW.

seasick

Reaction score
Point noted. I am not sure what is going on but I still don't see the throttle plate position as an issue. The throttle position sensor is a different issue though but I don't think I have the manual with the steps to test/adjust it. What year is the motor and what is the model type. I may have a document

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok just wanted to make sure it wasn't the obvious considering it was a new install.

I remember I thought I had the same issue as you, but turned out I was burried and bad props. Point being is I asked my yammy tech to confirm the throttle sensor was operating correctly and all I know is that he plugged in his computer, asked me to throttle up slowly and confirmed it was operating correctly. This was while the key was on, but engines not running. Not sure if you has a tech near you, it took all of 5mins to confirm.