canvas and windows on or off the boat for winter

keith1313

Reaction score
I have been leaving my canvas and windows on the boat for the winter. I have the boat shrink wrapped and assume what I do is OK.........however.........I always like your opinions.

Keith

TBone

Reaction score
I give mine a good cleaning, then I put them in my nice warm basement

for the winter, unrolled.

Stonewall

Reaction score
I give mine a good cleaning too. Then leave them in place right where they are. (The boat get shrink wrapped) Been doing this with my boats for many years and have never had an issue.

MFP

Reaction score
My GW dealer told me to take everything off the boat before shrink wrapping it for winter storage. Everything includes eisenglass and all foam seating for the GW 222. What do others do?

Brad1

Reaction score
prendmi said:
My GW dealer told me to take everything off the boat before shrink wrapping it for winter storage. Everything includes eisenglass and all foam seating for the GW 222. What do others do?

That's what I do. Everything (and I do mean everything) comes out of the boat and stored in my home, before I put the boat in storage for the winter. I store my boat in an environment that does not freeze, but I want to make sure that nothing has an opportunity of getting mold or mildew on it over the winter.

B-Faithful

Reaction score
I leave mine up and try to fish all winter. That is why you have an enclosure :D . Last year I only missed about 8 weeks in Jan and Feb..

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
B-Faithful said:
I leave mine up and try to fish all winter. That is why you have an enclosure :D . Last year I only missed about 8 weeks in Jan and Feb..

Well try that up north and the ice will crush your hull. Not to mention the marinas will pull the boats for insurance reasons and damage you would do to the docks.

seasick

Reaction score
Its the sunlight that degrades the vinyl so in theory leaving them in and shrinkwrapping should be OK. I however remove them and anything else that can grow mold or even more important, get chewed or clawed. We have had cases of racoons , stray cats and squirels taking up living quarters on stored boats.
As mentioned, I remove my curtains and store them in my house. I clean them, treat them with 303 protectorant and roll them for storage. Strataglass recommends that windows not touch each other during storage. They suggest acid free paper or , a lot easier to get, pieces of old bed sheets. Strataglas and other vinyl windows should never be folded.