Cap to remove or not to remove?

Impulsive21

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I just picked up a '79 grady white 204c overnighter with a 200 hp v6 yahmaha outboard. The boat needs a bit of cleaning , but the major issue here is the stringers are TOAST!, not to mention the transom may be rotted as well , due to large stress cracks on the side and a split on the top of the rib. So the question here is can I just pull the cap and redo stringers and fix/beef up transom, instead of cutting out the deck and storage . It's a walk around cuddie cabin. I'm not sure if I have the skill to rebuild most of that stuff. It's an awsome boat and I'm looking forward to rebuilding it. thx.15674472039648692173780886941113.jpg

UCPA111

Reaction score
You have a project for sure! I redid the transom on my boat. I also did some stringer work during that. I didn't remove the cap. YouTube is a great guide to show you some things. I was apprehensive at first...but after starting to mix epoxy and rolling out fiberglass fabric...I feel I could build a new boat (LOL!!!!).

I recommend purchasing a Sonic crafter Rockwell F50 and blades.

You can checkout some of what I did on my page here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY3HuZDoWwR_iSbBmZmWEkSuhFlgBwjb
Happy to help answer questions.

Reactions: Impulsive21