Checked out the new gradies

dheywood

Reaction score
Went to the Vancouver Boat show on the weekend and got to walk through all the new Gradies.

Can you say sticker shock!!

My wife and I would like to upgrade to a 30 footer for a few more creature comforts. Getting old sucks.

Here is my question:

What was the last year Grady produced a 30 footer with inboard engines?

I would prefer a stern drive but a V drive would do.

Not interested in outboards too much trouble and expence to work on. Too many specialty tools needed to rebiuld.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Me too, walked the Los Angeles boat show yesterday afternoon.

The local dealer is not too keen on keeping in touch or developing a business relationship with their prospects. Since I didn't buy my first boat from them I guess they figure I never will. Seems their destiny is pre-determined if you know what I mean.

They had a 208, a 228, a 232, a 282, and a 330.
I was most interested in the 282, really enjoyed going all thru that one - but show price was over $100K, YIKES! BTW, the 330 is HUGE! There was really nothing else at the show that compares to the Grady's. But then I'm kind of biased :wink:

dheywood - Grady only does Yamaha outboards. If you're looking for an inboard or similar iteration you need to look elsewhere. Otherwise, like everything else, technology has marched forward on outboards - they are nothing like years past other than the basic configuration of a motor hung on the transom. Like cars, they are lightyears ahead in terms of reliability, dependability, economy, and are easy to live with. The old days of tinkering on them, as with inboards too, is over. Everything is computer controlled, electronically activated, and super precise. They have long warranties, but generally are quite trouble free, and long service intervals. And they are more popular than ever for many reasons, not the least of which is because they are designed for marine use from the start, where an inboard is an automotive based engine that is marinized.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
dheywood said:
What was the last year Grady produced a 30 footer with inboard engines?

Answer: Never. However, about 5 or 6 years ago they did produce a 272 (27' walk around) with a single volvo duoprop diesel. It was actually a pretty decent set-up but just didn't catch on with the Grady crowd. If you want a 30 ft. grady-like boat you may with inboards you may need to look to Pursuit (Who also make an excellent boat).......One thing to consider is the enormous amount of room you lose in the cabin when you put inboards of any kind in a 30' hull.

PS. If you can find one of those 27 diesel's you should be able to get a great deal on it. Again, they didn't have any problems with that boat....Just didn't catch on......Probably a little sluggish and tough to handle around the dock....But, you could always add a thruster and solve that problem....With what you'll save on buying the boat you'll still have a heck of a deal.......My dealer sat on one for two years before it finally sold.....

gw204

Reaction score
Fishermanbb said:
One thing to consider is the enormous amount of room you lose in the cabin when you put inboards of any kind in a 30' hull.
quote]

I beg to differ. I've been inside both the 30' Marlin and the 30' Pursuit Express (not the Offshore). The Pursuit seemed to have significantly more room both inside and in the helm/cockpit.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
The pursuit may have more square footage......Even compared to the express 305.....I think the 30 pursuit has a 12 ft. beam ....i'm not sure....But, try sleeping in the aux. berths vs. the GW. I've been in both....Offshore fishing....The GW is WAY more comfortable......I don't know if it is raw footage...but the side berths on the Pursuit are nowhere near as comfortable as the aft berth in the GW. The pursuit is wider...which gives it some advantages in overall feel....But useable space....The outboard wins for me everytime.......I'm sure the helm has more space due to the beam....Which is measured at midships....right where the helm is.........I've fished the pursuit...Very nice boats.....

Frank

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
Me too, walked the Los Angeles boat show yesterday afternoon.

I was most interested in the 282, really enjoyed going all thru that one - but show price was over $100K, YIKES!

I think you mean over $150 or $160K. AT $100K, they would be priced around the value you can get from weekend boating and they would sell a lot of them.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There were 2 Pursuits at 30'. One with a 12' beam, center helm, and diesels, and the other with a 10-6 beam, mostly (all?) gas inboards, and dimensions similar to the GW 300/305.

I haven't been on the smaller Pursuit in a few years but it was a nice boat. It didn't seem to have any space advantage over a Marlin and IIRC it only sleeps 2. Nice boat and a good choice if one desire's inboard power.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Lets not discuss the enormous amount of usable fishing space lost with outboards on a supersized euro transom.

How many can fish the stern on the 12 ft beam Pursuit ?
No Grady of any size today or to be built in the future can fish more than two.

dheywood

Reaction score
Thanks guys

So they never produced a 30 footer with inboard engines.
I guess a 27 will do, I have a 25 foot weekender with nothing but a bed in the cabin. I would like to stick with the best and how can you do better than a Grady.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
Lets not discuss the enormous amount of usable fishing space lost with outboards on a supersized euro transom.

How many can fish the stern on the 12 ft beam Pursuit ?
No Grady of any size today or to be built in the future can fish more than two.

Huh? I know of two charters just in MC, NC which fish GWs. One is a 306 and the other is a 330. The Pursuit with the 12' beam may be roomy but it was discontinued several years ago.

DHeywood:

I agree with you that GW is a top shelf boat but in all honesty, that is not your best choice if you truly desire an inboard. Having said that, I would give the new four stroke outboards a good look before deciding on your choice of power. A lot has changed over the years.

striped bass

Reaction score
dheywood:
Look into a used Grady. Plenty of recent vintage models in good condition to chose from and you don't incur the huge first year depreciation all new boats experience. A reliable surveyor can guide you to the best buy. Good luck!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
2 man tuna charter? No problem.

Can't see 6 guys lined up on one side each hooked up !

For the member who's asking about new inboards, this is a Grady site, meaning it's an exclusive Yamaha outboard site too.

Grady and Yamaha have been sleeping together for some 10 years now, a happy relationship - benefitted both.

The trial marriage is well established, I don't see a breakup ever.

tuxedospike

Reaction score
Inboard Pursuits...?

Just checked the website for Pursuit boats...even their new OS 375 will feature 350 Yamahas...no inboards to be found. Seatrialed their 33 last year ( it wore twin F250's ) and found it to be a really well built boat but a little too Cruise oriented for what I wanted. The Admiral didn't like the gas genset and that decided the issue for the 300 Marlin.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The new Pursuit 315 has gone to the FP diesel genset. It has the best windshield/hardtop design in the industry for this size range. There are some aspects I don't like (transom door, rocket launchers, grey helm, aft berth) but they have leap frogged the Marlin/305 in several areas.

I will be curious to see how GW responds.

PS: Tux, I agree the P33 is more cruise although lately some GW critics claim they too have abandoned their fishing roots. It is apparent to me these brands, along with BW and Scout, are going after the family buyers who wants a multipurpose, high end boat. They have no intentions of inboards, deep V hulls, sparse amenities, or price competition with the mid tier brands. The competition and innovation is good for the consumer and the industry.

FTR: If I did not own a GW I would own a Pursuit. Nice boats.