Checking/replacing control panel fuses 2001 Marlin

sickday

Reaction score
My port side navigation light is not working. I've played with the unit, cleaned the contacts, replaced the bulb and I still cant get it to work. Next step is the fuse. I pulled the cap above the switch but how and the heck do you get that fuse out? Looks like I need a magnet. Anybody?

seabob4

Reaction score
sickday said:
My port side navigation light is not working. I've played with the unit, cleaned the contacts, replaced the bulb and I still cant get it to work. Next step is the fuse. I pulled the cap above the switch but how and the heck do you get that fuse out? Looks like I need a magnet. Anybody?

Are they glass fuses? Can you grab the end with a pair of needlenose pliers?

seabob4

Reaction score
georgemjr said:
I didn't think they had fuses. I thought those were breakers...
Kinda wondered why GW was using fuses...
Shruggingshoulders.gif

sickday

Reaction score
It does have a breaker panel, but in the GW owners manual it refers to the fuses for the lights as being on the control panel. So if those tabs above the switches arent fuses, are they resets? Pardon my ignorance, I just assumed from the owners manual that there are fuses for the switch board in addition to the breaker. Just trying to cover all my bases before I pull off the light and replace it with a new unit.

seabob4

Reaction score
The feed for your switch panel will be protected by a 40A breaker mounted close to the batts. From this breaker, there will be a feed that runs forward to your helm, maybe to a positive bus, maybe straight to your switch panel. Now, all the individual circuits are protected by there own breakers, which look like this, but have waterproof boots over the reset buttons...
thumbs1827050-7061_182x182.jpg

What you want to do is see if you have power going into the breaker and power coming out. Do this with your batt switch on, as power to the helm should be cut with the switch off. If you have power coming out of the breaker, make sure you have power at the light switch, which would be the middle spade terminal on the switch. If you have power there, then turn the light switch on and see if you have power on the bottom spade terminal. If you do have power there, then either you have a bad light, or there is a break in the positive feed or ground to the light.

But first, a little hint. Most builders will run the nav light wiring up under the deck on the starboard side, then daisy-chain over to the port side. Look in the anchor locker and see if you can see the splices towards starboard, where the port wiring is wired in. The problem maybe right there.

In case you're not familiar with using a multimeter, here's a little easy to understand tutorial...The Proline Guy...The Multimeter
1sm088doubleup.gif

sickday

Reaction score
Thats exactly how it is. Its a small area, but I guess thats where im looking next. Power shouldnt be the issue, its getting juice because the s.b. side is working fine and the juice is coming from the same location.

Thank you for the tips. Electrical is definately not my cup of tea

Matt

midflcap223

Reaction score
hello,I had same problem on my Grady,the port side was working but not starboard.I worked on it an found it was a bad switch,had to replace it and now it works like it is suppose to,nav. lights w/white light and anchor light only on. 8)