Considering purchase of a 1988 Sailfish

lofster

Reaction score
I currently own an 1987 Offshore and am considering the 25' Sailfish. It has 2 year old 200 hp optimax's on the back. I love the offshore ride and design, any advice on things to look for or watch out for on thSailfish would be appreciated. I know for example on the Offshore, the transoms needed to be replaced after 10 years, due to being waterlogged. Any similar tips you all know of?

Also I will probably sell the Offhore with a Mercury 1997 225 hp with 450 hours and a 2002 trailer for about $11k total, if I do the swap.

Amigo

Reaction score
I own a 1988 Sailfish 25 ft. Can't help with the O/B transom issue because mine is an I/O. The only negative I have is the wiring. I need a complete rewire job. Partly because I have added many things such as downriggers, autopilot, etc.

The 1/2" plywood laminate bulkhead at the stearn needed replacing. That was the only major replacement required. This was not a big job.

Great boat for the Great Lakes.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I have an 89 Trophy Pro which has the same hull but without the little kitchen area and enclosed bathroom.

Transom,Fuel tanks and lines,deck covers, bulkheads front and rear,electical, thru hulls, hard top for wield cracks.

Get a good survey of the boat and if you can pull the deck covers and check the stringers. Yea its a pita but could save bucks down the road.

Check this out also.

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=3173

gw204

Reaction score
How much is the current owner asking for it and are those motors transom or bracket mounted?

Transom, bulkheads, wiring, fuel tanks, fuel lines, thru-hull fittings all need to be thoroughly inspected.

lofster

Reaction score
just looked at the boat. Asking around 19k- engines are Mercury 2004's remanufactured by Mercury and bought in 2005. These are bracket mounted. A new fuek tank and lines were installed when the new engines went on. Really didnt realize how much bigger this boat is vs. my offshore. Also wiring was replaced. Should I be concerned about the remanufacture on these engines?

gw204

Reaction score
lofster said:
just looked at the boat. Asking around 19k- engines are Mercury 2004's remanufactured by Mercury and bought in 2005.

Are they "Cerfified Pre-Owned (CPO)"or "Pacemaker" engines?

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Well if everthing checks out then that is a great deal. Have a mechanic check over the engines with complete compression test and get the reciept history on the unit if possible .

You may have a great find on your hands but then again this may be what the boating market will demand at over $4 a gallon. You will burn at best 15 gallons an hour plus your two stroke oil.

Good Luck on however it turns out for you. :wink: