Considering repowering my 1996 209 escape: pros cons

starbukker

Reaction score
Hi folks as a new grady white owner I would appreciate any advice you might have. I have 10k invested in a 1996 escape 209 in good condition, except for cushions, but thats another story. It has the evinrude 200 ocean pro (455 lbs) which is presently being serviced (water pump, grinding gears during shift), but otherwise reliable. Thinking about repowering next year, want to go 4-stroke. Boat originally rated for 230 hp engine. Cant afford a new boat, but next year can afford a new outboard.
Major questions I have:
1. Favoring Yamaha 200 (Honda is heavier), but also thinking about Suz, or Merc Verado.Dont want 2 stroke (I know evinrude etec is highly rated,but want more efficient quiet, no adding oil). Advice? Pros and Cons?
2. I notice that price of these motors varies from about 12-14k, what is approx cost of installation?
3. Am I throwing good money after bad?
thanks
Chris

seasick

Reaction score
It's tough to make a call on a re-power if the current motor is working well. There are pros and cons on re-powering with a 4 stroke. There is no doubt that a 2 would be a less expensive buy but for resale, the 4s are better. The cost of rigging depends a lot on the instrumentation. Going Yami with new Command Link gauges will add a big cost to the project. Figure a few thou for the gauges and rigging. If you plan on selling in the near future, you may not get a good return on a re-power. The boat is 14 years old ( still young for a GW but nevertheless still 14 years old). So if you are going to keep it for a while (5 years or so), a re-power may make more sense than if you plan on selling it in a year or two.
I am just hoping thay my 2000 2 stroke Yami doesn't die and force me to make a similar decision

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Watch the weight...a 4 stroke on the back of one of those may not be a good fit.

I'd look hard for an E-Tec...you can reuse your controls and harness (BRP makes an adapter) and the weight will not be an issue.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Id disconnect the oil injection from the Ocean Pro and premix. That engine will last forever. The reason for the bad rep, and probably why the boat only cost 10K is the oil injection system is likely to fail and good-bye powerhead. Around here they call them Ocean Blow's. The used outboat shop will only sell this motor with the oil injection disconnected.
Yea, they're noisy, and mixing oil is a PIA but why consider replacing a perfecly good motor with a 4-stroke that may not perform as well? But, if you got 15-17K burning a hole in your pocket then...

starbukker

Reaction score
To repower or not to repower (or trade-up?)

Thanks for your comments thus far. I really like the boat, but may not keep the boat beyond 2 years, depending on finances. So maybe it yo guys are right. I am thinking of something a little bigger (23 ft) with a little more beam and a cuddy, but still trailerable. Suggestions?
Chris

DB

Reaction score
repower

If you are thinking Merc call Almars outboards 302-328-8541 nobody beats their prices...nobody even wants to try.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
An ETEC may be your best choice (the 200 HP model may weight even less than your current motor). Some say they have problems with water coming in the scuppers and adding more weight back there isn't going to help. Your best bet for a 4 stroke is probably the 200 Verado, it's the lightest but you'll need new controls.

fishhrd

Reaction score
Go with either an etec or yamaha hpdi. I repowered with a 225 honda on a 96 and the stern was heavy. I would have put the hpdi on if I had to do it over again.
Matt

uncljohn

Reaction score
I guess if you're only thinking resale, and the weight wont be an issue, then go for it, but if you think "more efficient" means you'll save money, then its not gonna happen unless you're running 200-300 hrs per year+.

I run approx 100 hrs per year and it would have taken 18 years to recoup the extra $ a Yam 4-S would have cost vs. the brand new OX66 I got. This was 4 years ago. So, while it is about 30% more efficient, if you're looking at several thousands of $s in extra price, then you won't realize any savings.

Adding oil to a tank, or even measuring out 16 oz of it and dumpiing it into your fuel tank is NOT a big hassle as so many 4-S owners try to make it out to be. Maybe its justification for a few extra grand! Of course, then you have oil changes...

starbukker

Reaction score
What about noise and smell? My wife always complains about the Evinrude Ocean Pro. Of course maybe thats good!

uncljohn

Reaction score
well of course there will be smell if you're trolling with the wind. And there's noise. I just taught my wife that outboards are loud and smelly, so she doesn't know any better!

I do understand how "she" factors into your mathematical equation....

no problem

Reaction score
it's hard to follow that you may repower next year but you may sell in 2 years. I wouldn't want to put a new depth finder on a boat I thought I wasn't going to keep. You will loose a large portion of repower money at resale. To me it makes more sense to keep the reliable motor you have now and put your money towards your next boat. 10k in current boat + 15k repower = shop around and see what 25k will get you now. You may be surprised.

09grady222

Reaction score
Just realized this is an old post but i guess maybe a year later you are debating to repower still. I have a 4 stroke on my 222 and it is awesome but very heavy. I have noticed more stress cracks in this boat near the transom than when i had the same rig. i'm not sure if i would put the 4stroke on that boat. Great hull as they still use it today. But if the transom is solid a 250 2 stroke would make that boat fly. If the motor has a million hours on her then sell it. If she is a low hour motor and is running fine then i see no need to repower. But Upgrading is always nice :)