Cost To Repower

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Seafarer 228G, and I was wondering about how much it would cost to repower with a Yamaha 200 HPDI or maybe a 200 Evinrude ETEC. I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate, I understand that there may be variables that are peculiar to my boat. What would the motor cost, the controls, and installation? I need to plan ahead here.

Thanks,

SwampGrizz

rml2112

Reaction score
Hi SwampGrizz

There was an ad recently on Savannah's Craig list for Yamaha's & honda outboards From Lockwood Marina at Shellmans Bluff.
They used to be a Grady dealer, But I am not sure if the still are.
I have the Same year Boat but I have an 225 0x66 yamaha that still runs great, Loves Fuel and oil.

bob

mashenden

Reaction score
I just repowered with a new "last year's model" 4 stroke Yamaha 225 and it cost me $15,200 installed, including new controls, digital tach & speedometer, ignition switch, filter and lines. The main unknown for me were 1) the quality of the 90 gals of gas that were in the tank and 2) the condition of the tank.

It was easy enough for the tech to test the gas by tilting the boat up and drawing fuel from the bottom of the tank through the sender unit hole. It was bad (water, dirt and phase seperated) so they tested the new motor using a removable tank. I will need to eventually drain the tank. I might use the old gas in lawn mowers, etc. - 90 gals should cut the yard for a while :) I am considering putting a new plastic tank in the aux tank space to use until I sort out the old gas and can determine the condition of the original tank.

cgmiller

Reaction score
I repowered my last boat in 2009 with a leftover 200 HPDI and it cost me $12,500. That included $8500 for the engine including a $1500 credit that yamaha was offering at the winter boat show..or 2/3 years extra warranty..I took the cash. My price included removal of the 225 Merc and installation of new binalce control, control cables, wire harness, new fuel lines......a 200 etec would have cost me another $2500...

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If a Yamaha is coming off the boat, a new HPDI will bolt right up. You can use the existing harnesses, cables, etc... A change of the tach to a new one with a new hourmeter would be nice, and it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and swap out the oil tank, but you will save on labor and accessories.

no problem

Reaction score
Re: Cost To Re power

Ask for specific quotes from several local dealers. You will be surprised how many people can't follow directions and provide a complete quote for everything you are interested in. Once you eliminate the people that don't know exactly what they would like to charge you, the field narrows itself quite a bit. Now that multiple salespeople know you are shopping they may contact you when a deal arises. My etec quotes varied by so much it was unexplainable. In the end the people I wanted to deal with called me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Contacting the dealers early and not being in a hurry saved me a considerable amount of money. Good luck and happy shopping!