Covering Plastic Headliner with Carpet (Monkey Fur)

TomBellow

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Just purchased a 2001 GS 232. Very pleased. Have a young family, looking forward to getting out on the water. Then the wife notices the exposed yellow/orange plastic headliner & the tired white perforated acoustic vinyl in the Cubby.

Now she is demanding it gets covered with the same style of carpet headliner in the rest of the boat. Does anyone have any history doing this or feedback as to why I should not do this besides the obvious of why spend the $$. I have read the stories (horror) of the removal of the existing carpet, but nothing about adding monkey fur to the plastic headliner.

I have called a couple Car & RV interior companies to look at this and they both said they will most likely not be able to get the carpet to stick to the plastic long term. They both claim the hot temperatures will cause the 3M adhesive or other glue to release from the plastic.

Please note I have to deliver this message to my wife, so be ...well..... tactful with your responses. Below are a few images of the inside of the Cuddy and the headliner in question.

Thanks for your feedback. suggestions and marital guidance in advance.

Tom

GS 232 Int #1.jpgGS 232 Int #2.jpgGS 232 Int #3.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'd be very worried that the headliner adhesive would fail in a relatively short period of time since you're trying to glue it to plastic. Maybe if you roughened it up really well, first. But it's still sort of a gamble.

How about painting the plastic? That would definitely work and give it a much better appearance. Krylon/Rustoleum 'paint for plastic' in a neutral color, like off-white. Heck of a lot easier and cheaper, too!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Tell her carpet will get moldy and stink...don't do it.

That actually looks really good...no cracks...so she doesn't like the color....I gotta agree with that...doesn't match the grey and blue.... what was Grady thinking?

I ripped the carpeting out of the cuddy on my last boat. It was glued up to the raw glass pretty solid. after the carpet was down I had to deal with the glue.

If there is anything true in this world it is that you don't paint something unless you plan on repainting it in 5 years...and again and again

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm thinking the carpet and cushions were changed and thats why it doesn't match.
Dude, NOTHING matches that color! :)

I was originally thinking that maybe the color had faded/changed over the years, but looking closer it appears to all be very uniform in color which typically negates the fading theory. Which brings us back to the original thought of "What was Grady thinking!" I mean, the boat is a 2001 model, not a 1971 model!!!

LongIslandGulfstream

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Very strange for a 2001 model year gulfstream to have that color plastic. I know they switched from carpet headliners to vinyl sometime in early 2000s but I have never seen one of that color. I recommend spraying it. An ivory color would look good and it will last a while being that the area doesn’t get touched much and stays out of the sun.

Reaction score
Website
www.prattcustoms.com
Well this isn't that bad of a project IF you have access to an air compressor.

Go to rexpeg fabrics, sailrite or perfect fit mcdonald for the fabric you decide on. It's usually called "hull liner" . Here's just one of several how to video's.

https://www.sailrite.com/Installing-Carpet-Style-Hull-Liner-in-a-Quarter-Berth-Video

The glue is the important part. Most glues are considered "heat release" and do just that. Others just get old and crumble.

You want the weldwood trim and top adhesive.

https://www.amazon.com/Dap-Weldwood...ocphy=9034059&hvtargid=pla-409270738931&psc=1

Pour in a siphon feed spray gun with a 2.0mm or larger tip similar to this HF gun (don't see the tip size on this one.....just for visual reference)

https://www.harborfreight.com/industrial-paint-spray-gun-43760.html

Turn the spray pattern to whatever width gets the glue out the way you want . I have a smaller gun tip so I have to spray a solid stream with no fan pattern.
VERY controllable, Do 1/2 at a time leaving several inches extra on edges to trim later.

I've done a few boats for friends and all turned out awesome!!!
WEAR a respirator !!!