Crab Davit install

derx2

Reaction score
Hello boat owners
Thought I would document the install of a crab davit on a 20’ grady white .
West coast means crabbing , we crab out of Astoria Oregon and in front of my sister’s house north of Shilshole marina in Seattle WA. Regional differences exist on how to rig boats, but this is how I did it on my west coast boat. Some sites suggest mounting the davit to the starboard side of the boat so the operator can see and navigate to the the crab buoy. I elected to install it on the Port side. I used the removable davit mounts available from ezpull dot net. They are out of Shelton WA. I talked with their fabricator Buck at the boat show about his mounts. He has done installs on G/W boats and told me there was no way to mount the davit system without installing a new 6” inspection plate to get to the back of the fasteners on the gunnel mount, so that is what I did. I installed the gunnel mount with large SS fender washers. I was able to use 2 bolts and nuts with washers on 2 of the deck mount fasteners of the boat but the other 2, I used threaded screws. The backing sealant was 3M 4200 sealant.

I selected the upgraded Schedule 80 Aluminum davit and taller davit for my boat. I consider every component I drill into my boat carefully and figured if I am going to pay the $$, go with the upgrade. The top of the davit is 74” from the floor of the boat. First trip out 10-8-2011we harvested 44 dungeness crab

Enjoy the pics:
001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Very impressive looking. Next step, the new show called the yummiest catch?

bc282

Reaction score
nice idea.

why not just get an electric pot puller as the new ones are pretty compact and depending on which one, pretty quick too.
i bought a locally made unit for $350 which still requires me to use some of my deckhands to pull the rope but works very well to bring up a tandem rig of deep water prawn traps. I used to use anchor lift system for the prawn traps but it was a PITA albeit better than hand pulling prawn traps.
Most elec. pullers take the base of Scotty downriggers so most boats already have a mount and elec plug ready for a puller.
Crab traps aren't very deep for me so i just hand pull utilizing a Scotty trap puller extension to keep the line away from the gunnel.

Regs may be different in WA, but in BC, we are now allowed to use elec pullers as a few years ago it was manual only.

derx2

Reaction score
I went though similar thought process.

I looked at the Brutis/Ace line hauler system------thought it sat too low on the gunnel to swing a pot onto the deck. I was unsure of the strength of the Scotty/downrigger mounting system (it did not look strong enough to me), and the powder coated steel will rust eventually.

I thought about getting an electric version of what I have -------but $1250 was more than I wanted to spend.

Regarding the an anchor lift systems. I have one that we use for anchoring on the Columbia River for salmon fishing( we drop a 40# river anchor) . Unfortunately, our crabbing locations can be somewhat congested. Astoria especially there are always other boats/traps/ buoys and hazards to watch out for, so backing down on a anchor ball safely would not be possible.

So for me this was a good choice. I can always add the electric motor to this davit down the line.

David E.

jellyfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures, very nice job. Gives me hope for my 20ft gw now. Crab season has started in NO CAL.!! :goodjob