Crack in pulpit - need fiberglass person (OC MD)

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Does anyone know a good fiberglass repair guy in Ocean City MD. I have a crack in my pulpit (272 Sailfish) and need to get it taken care of ASAP. From the looks of it (and according to GW customer service), it appears that water may have gotten in through the top bolt and swelled the wood causing the crack. Anyone else experience this problem? Thanks, David[/img]

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
Pulpit

Hope you have better luck than me...2 guys who did warranty work on MA area GWs wouldn't touch mine. Seems on the 23' Gulfstream, GW supposedly made a 2 piece mold, sprayed gelcoat, clamped together and pumped the middle with 'who knows what'. Issue is gelcoat cracked and replacement won't stick to that middle filler. Ended up sanding, priming and painting (matched perfect but not same).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
On my 92, Grady used end grain balsa in the pulpit, same stuff hull is cored with.

How did you crack it?

Did it get below freezing down there this past winter?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
On my 92, Grady used end grain balsa in the pulpit, same stuff hull is cored with.

How did you crack it?

Did it get below freezing down there this past winter?

Mine had standard 2X lumber inside (now marine ply).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It looked like Balsa, may not be.

I have some drips comin down from a pulpit rail bolt nut when it gets hot out, will have to take it apart end of season and see what's going on in there.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Fiberglass guy (Jim's Marine) is coming by this week to fix. Took a look at it and it seems that either the 2 bolts on top were tightened too much or water got in through one of them and caused the wood to swell. Doesn't look bad now but probably better ($$$ wise) not to wait to fix.