Creating Gas Tank Compartment Drain? '85 Tourny

Tcketcham

Reaction score
Hey All,

1985 19' Tourny
Any thoughts on drilling in a drain hole through the bulkhead where the bilge pump is to the gas tank compartment. I know it is supposed to be a dry compartment, but water seems to find its way in, and its creating a mess- slime, mold ect. Plus its a real pain trying to drain with a hand pump from the hatch covers.

The boat is on fresh water if that makes a difference in opinion.

Grady said there is no issue other than potential gas spill. Anyone done this? Photos?

Thanks

gw204

Reaction score
There should already be a drain in that bulkhead. There was one in my old '85 204 as well as in my current '86 227.

If not and you have to drill one, sleeve the hole with a piece of PVC so you can stop it up with a standard rubber bilge plug. The PVC will also isolate the core of the bulkhead from bilge water.

bfrank

Reaction score
gw204 said:
There should already be a drain in that bulkhead. There was one in my old '85 204 as well as in my current '86 227.

If not and you have to drill one, sleeve the hole with a piece of PVC so you can stop it up with a standard rubber bilge plug. The PVC will also isolate the core of the bulkhead from bilge water.

I have one in mine. Just as you described with a PVC pipe.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My Sailfish had the PVC drain connecting the two compartments but it was glassed over in the tank compartment.

bfrank

Reaction score
Grog said:
My Sailfish had the PVC drain connecting the two compartments but it was glassed over in the tank compartment.

Interesting... Did you try drilling it out some how?

Tcketcham

Reaction score
Hmm. Im surprised Grady didn't mention the possibility of a drain already there. Ill keep looking. Thanks of for the help guys.

Tcketcham

Reaction score
For those of you that have this drain where is the approx location? I was searching dead center bottom- its a very hard area to work in/ see what the heck you are doing. Unfortunately the boat is on a rural lake in Ontario, so won't be working on it until July.

bfrank

Reaction score
Tcketcham said:
For those of you that have this drain where is the approx location? I was searching dead center bottom- its a very hard area to work in/ see what the heck you are doing. Unfortunately the boat is on a rural lake in Ontario, so won't be working on it until July.

When I had the fuel tank cover off it was very easy to see dead center of the compartment.