Current Charts of 'Big Bend' Area of Florida

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
These three full-size paper charts cover, approximately, Steinhatchee to Tarpon Springs, Florida. The charts are 11407, 11408 and 11409 and all are dated from early 2022.

I recently carried them with me doing this segment of the Great Loop. I also practised a little compass navigating on them, so there may still be a few #2 pencil notes on them. I erased all of my lines with a white eraser. Unfortunately, the charts are pretty heavily folded to be carried at the helm of my 282 and now to be stuffed into a mailer.

I paid $20 each for the charts earlier this summer. But have no further use for them, so am happy to turn them over to anyone who can use them. I'll ask that the receiver just cover the cost of the $9.90 mailer.

Rob

1668260649353.jpeg

1668260684580.jpeg

1668260707025.jpeg

1668260733756.jpeg

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Those would be nice to have on my boat since I live in the middle of that area. How should I pay you for the mailing?

Reactions: Ky Grady

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Those would be nice to have on my boat since I live in the middle of that area. How should I pay you for the mailing?
Bill: Beautiful area you live in. PM me your address, when you receive the charts, you'll have my return address. And I can answer your PM with my address. I'll put the charts in the mail before I get your check. I'm not terribly worried about it!

Rob

Reactions: Ky Grady

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Rob, I'm just curious if you crossed over to West Palm through the Okeechobee cut or went around by the keys?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Halfhitch: First, how did you do in Ian?

Had intended to go around to the keys and make a stop to check out progress in Flamingo marina.

Unfortunately, my buddies house in MO received 11" of rain a few days prior. They are not prepared for anything like that. Although my buddie's son-in-law is in construction and immediately patched the minor leak in the roof and set up a drying fan in the basement - so there was no immediate problems to fix, my buddie's wife really wanted him home. So Okeechobee Waterway it was.

To make a short story longer, on our second lock, the lock master opened the upstream gate too wide, too fast. My buddy had the forward line. He is a fairly strong guy and he couldn't hold on. We did two 360's in the lock before I got the boat under control and headed into the current. Even then it took several minutes before the lockmaster closed the lock enough that we could regain our position on the wall.

There were other boats in the lock and we were so lucky to not hit them or the wall before regaining control.

By the way, I had hoped to make a stop in Venice, which I consider my closest thing to a hometown, but could not get a slip. I'm guessing the explosion of boat sales exceeds the slip capacity?

Rob

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wow, scary moments in that lock! Well, at least you got to test your adrenaline system out to make sure it works.

Sorry to hear about your Buddys' house. Eleven inches of rain is bound to cause trouble of some sort.

As far as Ian goes, I can tell you from first-hand experience he's an ass. He blew my fence away and rim-wracked my boat shed to the point, I have to replace it.
Check out how it's leaning in the after-picture. Every corner brace was broken.

QmRxOiMh.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: wspitler