Cushion maintenance

CMS1

Reaction score
So I have always washed my cushions when I wash my boat and put them away in either a storage compartment or my shed. I was at a marina this weekend and talked to a Grady owner that said he leaves them on all the time then pointed to neighboring boats and they left their cushions in place some in the weather some covered. What do you all do with your cushions after your done for the day?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Done for the day, going back out the next day, leave them on. Done for the day, not going back out the next day, remove and keep in cabin. The only ones that I keep on board are the helm cushions, the ones for the fish boxes and such, I have stored away in the basement. In the end, the way you are taking care of your cushions right now will show in the condition of them.

Zebulon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brand new cushions and pads, treated them all with "303 Protectorant" any other suggestions prior to exposing them for the first time???

Reactions: CMS1

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nothing else really. Keep them treated with 303, great stuff. When you wash, make sure they are dry before you stack or put away, reduces the chances of them molding.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
303 makes a cleaner also for when they need a little attention. Clean then re-treat with the protectant.

Reactions: Zebulon

CMS1

Reaction score
Brand new cushions and pads, treated them all with "303 Protectorant" any other suggestions prior to exposing them for the first time???
Looked at buying 303 but there are a few Protectants. Are they all the same? Vinyl? Marine? Which one is everyone using

Reactions: Ky Grady

seasick

Reaction score
In my opinion, 303 works very well and I use it each season before off season storage and after light cleaning with mild soap and water .
The UV rays take a toll on the cushions which is why I also stow them in the cabin when not using the boat. UV rays also degrades the stitching. The vinyl in the cushions has a protective layer that can break down from UV or too hash a cleaning. Once the protective layer is shot, there is not much you can do, so the key to longevity is to keep them clean and limit the UV damage. 303 helps maintain the UV resistance.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like they have changed the labels. The one with the boat is the old label, the other is the new label, same stuff.
imageService.jpeg71wBZHek9GL._SX466_.jpg

Reactions: Zebulon and CMS1

Fishtales

Reaction score
clean and put away. occasionally use 303 protectant.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I leave my coaming pads on. I will remove them once or twice a year to wash behind and leave them off till dry.

Fishtales

Reaction score
No. Just those that snap on. Takes 5 min. Why not?