Custom tackle boxes in gunnel?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, one of the biggest issues I deal with is having a place for tackle. One thing I noticed is I really do not use the gunnel storage. I use one side, but not the other, since I have so many rod places. To that end, if I took out the rod storage "hooks" on one side, I was thinking I could have a custom set of tackle storage areas made, or, heck.. keeping it simple, just install some of the things like below, to store Plano boxes...anything that gives me more places for the tackle that can be grabbed, used, stowed as I am fishing, vs having an old tackle box pulled out of a storage compartment and sitting out or under a seat.

I have 6.25" of depth to "play with".... and at least 5ft of area to add stuff....plus 1-2ft height. Even if all I did was add a row of those along the deck on one side...that would be at least 5x2 Plano boxes.. plenty of storage for a fishing trip, no?

Russ

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have never been a fan of the dividers on this style box, whether vertical or horizontal. They are always sized for the standard height Plano box, and I often use a mix of standard, and the low profile, 1.1 inch box. With 4 inches clear, it would hold 3 boxes, with one being standard 1.75.

Look at the third photo here, that would be a ton of storage, with your Planos vertical. With individual boxes, you have double spacers between each one.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussGW270

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a soft tackle box that stores five Plano boxes plus pockets all around for gulp and pouches to store rigs. I keep in the cuddy and take out probably 1 Plano plus a pouch full of rigs on my trips. When I am not on the boat, I put in the garage (not sure why I don’t just leave it in the boat).

The pouches are fabric and I toss them under the windshield while fishing. I like keeping the cockpit clear and feel like having those Plano boxes back there will make it too easy for me to leave out. Plus, the sun will age them so you can’t see what is in there...

Aventik High Grade10 Pockets Fly... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VXL1DQ7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
All very good options. What I am thinking of is how best to use this space here. I find myself, currently, going, “eh....guess I could just put that here...” and it stores a boat hook, which is collapsable so could go anywhere but I put that down there simply to use that area heh...the gaff goes there and that is it.

I would need to not block the access panel and the washdown and the shore power, but that easily leaves 40” long x 17” tall x 6.5” deep...with the right bracing, it would make great tackle storage or Ny storage.

R

Attachments

• C3194ECC-FFCA-4920-BBA7-2FABE7AEA5A0.jpeg
    C3194ECC-FFCA-4920-BBA7-2FABE7AEA5A0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12

Fishtales

Reaction score
What if you kept it simple and use the toe rail. Drop the two Planos in vertically (tall end up) and ran 2 pieces of bungee material end to end to hold them in place (maybe one 1/2 way up and second 3/4 way up). The toe rail holds the bottom snug and the bungees keep em from popping out? I think anything you do permanently is a compromise.

I've tried the husky tool bags that HD sells in the past with the plano boxes. I now use the arger cabella/bass pro bags now.
Bass Pro Shops Advanced Anglers II Super Magnum Tackle System | Cabela's

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Eh, "in for a dime.."

I am looking at how best to make use of that space. Since the top and sidnes hold almost all I need, closing the areas off all together and just adding an access plate to each area will streamline it, simplify it, and keep it all clean and organized.

Will just take time to plan, measure, and budget. For now, it is fine. Need to deal with other things, like where the heck to catch mahi :p

R

gulfstream232

Reaction score
Reactions: Blaugrana