Day Dreaming ...upgrading

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Greetings,
It's winter and I have been day dreaming on Boat Trader .
I have owned my 228 now since 2009. She has taken me everywhere from the mountain lakes to the Dry Tortugas and Bahamas. It truly is a great little boat.

I have long wanted a 28 to 33. In so many ways its not practical. I do have family in Florida, Titusville, that I could store a bigger boat . But I don't have a bigger truck to pull a bigger boat.

Some observations. On my recent Boat Trader search I noticed very few 228s ..in fact I counted more 330s. I noticed the 228s there fetched a good price for the owners. I think I could sell my boat for a decent price abd quickly .

Part of me wants to consider the Journey 258 . It's only a couple feet longer but the boat can be rigged with twins. The boat is overall bigger . I can tow it with my 2015 Tundra.
Then you got the Islander 272 . I like it but it dont recall it's final year in production and my truck could pull it locally in Florida .
The sailfish 282 seems like the sweet spot . I wish Grady still made her. It really is a nice WA boat and definitely a Bahamas cruiser .

Once you get above those , I will need a bigger truck for sure. I think the Marlin is a sweet boat ,the express 305 and 330 too. Those are all great vessels. I could pull off getting the boat but it would take some time finding a decent used f250 or f350.
Most of this is 2 footitus and until my youngest graduates college it's not really practical to consider anything bigger than the Islander because I wouldn't have to buy another tow vehicle.

Hope yall are having a great winter...spring is just around the corner..

Reactions: Peter A and Chutch

seasick

Reaction score
I know what you are going through. I do it all the time. In your evaluations pay attention to beam. The Marlin is a big wide boat. permits are required for trailering in many states.
I would avoid older 350s also, For me it is a show stopper. ( OK, here comes the positive comments about the 350s:))

As I get older, I try to be realistic. Perhaps bigger isn't better. In any case, keeping an eye on the boat market keeps me busy.
My biggest issue is whether I would buy another brand. I feel that other than bow riders, Grady has a bigger and bigger hole in the 25 to 28 or so foot offerings at least as far as cuddys and walk arounds go

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
ill be the friend that eggs you on to do what you WANT to do, maybe not what makes the most sense in the traditional way. that being said, ill try to make it make sense

if your youngest is about to be out of college, you are definitely not in your 20s or 30s, and i will assume not in your 40s. that being said, many that i know that are beyond their 40s begin to develop sore backs, knees, etc. a larger boat is the solution. if you dont have sore joints, the larger boat with its better ride will be less impactful on your joints and prolong your youth like mobility. if you already have sore joints, it will allow you to go out on more days while not aggravating your sore joints. also, at this point, barring some crazy circumstances, you probably know pretty well what your expenses and income will be going forward. if you can afford the larger boat and you would enjoy it, go for it. what better way to spend your retired years than enjoying your dream boat.

also, bigger is usually safer. safety first!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think it really just depends on what you'll be doing 90-95% of the time or more. I remember having a conversation with my uncle about this exact topic back when he had his 26' Bayliner Trophy because he was thinking about going with an even bigger boat. I mentioned that 90-95% or more of what we do is trolling for salmon with 4-5 guys max, although more often than not it's just him and I, in front of my beach cabin with relatively protected waters. His opinion was that he wanted a big enough boat to where we could take out 8-10 people or more and go fishing. At which point I said something along the lines of yeah, but when was the last time that we've done that in the past 10 years, or even the first time? In theory it sounds great to be able to have a huge boat and to be able to fish and entertain as many people as possible. That being said, it seems like the older you get and with people having families, kids, different schedules and so forth... it's more of a "stars aligning" type of situation before everyone will all show up on the same day. Eventually he sold his boat and I bought my 228 Seafarer, of which even still I can fish 4-5 guys on the boat without too much of an issue. You could fish even more than that if you really wanted to, though it would be a bit tight and you're still going to most likely only fish oh maybe 4-5 rods at one time or they'll get tangled up on each other. Same goes for a bigger boat in that if you had a 30' boat and are trolling for salmon, you're probably still only going to fish 4-5 rods at one time.

If I were to upgrade to a bigger sized boat and wanted to stick with a Grady White, it would probably be the 232 Gulfstream. It's got a huge 9'3" beam, optional twin outboards and is from what I've heard a massive 23' boat. If I was to look outside of owning a Grady White, I like the looks and functionality of the Pursuit 2470 Walkaround. The neighbor up at my beach cabin also has a bigger Grady White, it's a 270 Islander and he's kind of in the same boat, literally. He bought the boat because he has a wife and 3 kids, so he wanted to be able to take everyone out at the same time. Well... two kids are in college now and the wife I think he said has been out on the boat maybe 2-3 times since he bought it. So, I think he's very quickly realizing that my boat can do everything that his can, and then some, but at a fraction of the cost, and that he doesn't need a 27' boat to go fishing with me and a couple of his buddies. If you think you'll benefit considerably from having a larger boat then by all means go for it. You've owned your boat for over 15 years now, which is long enough to know what you want and what you'll use a boat for. To me, this sounds maybe a bit more like day dreaming as you mentioned, and maybe some winter boredom by looking online to see what's out there. Not saying that's a bad thing, but again I think if you wanted a bigger boat then you probably would've done so over the last 15 years. Just my thoughts of course, though what kind of truck do you own and what's the maximum towing capacity on it?

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
ill be the friend that eggs you on to do what you WANT to do, maybe not what makes the most sense in the traditional way. that being said, ill try to make it make sense

if your youngest is about to be out of college, you are definitely not in your 20s or 30s, and i will assume not in your 40s. that being said, many that i know that are beyond their 40s begin to develop sore backs, knees, etc. a larger boat is the solution. if you dont have sore joints, the larger boat with its better ride will be less impactful on your joints and prolong your youth like mobility. if you already have sore joints, it will allow you to go out on more days while not aggravating your sore joints. also, at this point, barring some crazy circumstances, you probably know pretty well what your expenses and income will be going forward. if you can afford the larger boat and you would enjoy it, go for it. what better way to spend your retired years than enjoying your dream boat.

also, bigger is usually safer. safety first!
Yah, I an double nickles. I almost bought a bigger boat 2 years ago. I sold some real estate and that money was liquid . In the end I rolled it back Into real estate near UCF where my son Cole goes. I would rather pay on a mortgage than pay ridiculous amount of student apartments.

I am lucky. I am not as fit as I once was but I row on indoor rower and enjoying mountain biking. So , I could be in better shape but I am not necessarily in bad shape either. I was born with the heart of an explorer. I love trolling for dolphin but I love the adventure of going to the islands. I have friends who are doing a two week cruise in the Bahamas going from place to place and staying aboard their boat. I would love to do that.

Side note I will go backpacking around once a year so I consider a two week trip on bigger Grady like boat camping. I could easily do it. My 228 does not lend itself to such a trip. I think when Cole turns that corner and says I am graduating next semester , that's really the turning point to get that bigger ride. I am with you though, I am not getting any younger. LOL

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I think it really just depends on what you'll be doing 90-95% of the time or more. I remember having a conversation with my uncle about this exact topic back when he had his 26' Bayliner Trophy because he was thinking about going with an even bigger boat. I mentioned that 90-95% or more of what we do is trolling for salmon with 4-5 guys max, although more often than not it's just him and I, in front of my beach cabin with relatively protected waters. His opinion was that he wanted a big enough boat to where we could take out 8-10 people or more and go fishing. At which point I said something along the lines of yeah, but when was the last time that we've done that in the past 10 years, or even the first time? In theory it sounds great to be able to have a huge boat and to be able to fish and entertain as many people as possible. That being said, it seems like the older you get and with people having families, kids, different schedules and so forth... it's more of a "stars aligning" type of situation before everyone will all show up on the same day. Eventually he sold his boat and I bought my 228 Seafarer, of which even still I can fish 4-5 guys on the boat without too much of an issue. You could fish even more than that if you really wanted to, though it would be a bit tight and you're still going to most likely only fish oh maybe 4-5 rods at one time or they'll get tangled up on each other. Same goes for a bigger boat in that if you had a 30' boat and are trolling for salmon, you're probably still only going to fish 4-5 rods at one time.

If I were to upgrade to a bigger sized boat and wanted to stick with a Grady White, it would probably be the 232 Gulfstream. It's got a huge 9'3" beam, optional twin outboards and is from what I've heard a massive 23' boat. If I was to look outside of owning a Grady White, I like the looks and functionality of the Pursuit 2470 Walkaround. The neighbor up at my beach cabin also has a bigger Grady White, it's a 270 Islander and he's kind of in the same boat, literally. He bought the boat because he has a wife and 3 kids, so he wanted to be able to take everyone out at the same time. Well... two kids are in college now and the wife I think he said has been out on the boat maybe 2-3 times since he bought it. So, I think he's very quickly realizing that my boat can do everything that his can, and then some, but at a fraction of the cost, and that he doesn't need a 27' boat to go fishing with me and a couple of his buddies. If you think you'll benefit considerably from having a larger boat then by all means go for it. You've owned your boat for over 15 years now, which is long enough to know what you want and what you'll use a boat for. To me, this sounds maybe a bit more like day dreaming as you mentioned, and maybe some winter boredom by looking online to see what's out there. Not saying that's a bad thing, but again I think if you wanted a bigger boat then you probably would've done so over the last 15 years. Just my thoughts of course, though what kind of truck do you own and what's the maximum towing capacity on it?
Mustang,
You're right in so many ways. The 228 is a great platform and because it is so great is why I keep her up in great shape. I am having new upholstery made this season. I had a 192. it is a great 19 footer ,but it's not a 228.
I want to go and see. A bigger boat gets me to the Bahamas more frequently. My 25 year old son , Kyle , is blind and requires constant care. I am his primary care giver and I can do it because I own my own. Business. Kyle loves boating and he would enjoy the cruising. My other son Cole and I do an annual father son trip and have been doing it for 14 years now. Cole has been on a friend's Express 265 and 330 and he says, dad , how come you don't get a 330. I quip back , because your future and college Education means more to me than a bigger boat. . I am blessed to have my friend Coconut to go fishing on a big boat every once in a while. .

My tow vehicle is a 2015 Tundra and rated at 10,000 pounds . I don't have a desire per se for a bigger trick other than to tow a bigger boat. I love my Toyota and it's been well cared for.

I drink the Kool aide and want a bigger Walk or express and my 228 has been a great companion on the sea for me. I like Pursuit , would consider it. The more I write about it, the more I realize I can wait a year or so. I so spend a lot of money on Cole right now and his future is truly what matters most to me.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I think everyone goes through upgradeitis. Bigger boats are always that dangling carrot. My 235 is perfect for us and what we do. Having looked at several bigger GWs I figure I'd have to go up to a 307 or 325 to really notice a significant difference. And at those prices I'd probably get an Aquila 32. But I don't think I would ever have the stomach to fork over that amount of money for a boat even if I had it. I'm not sure going from a 228 to anything under 30 would be much different other than having a second engine, if that is important to you.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My fantasy upgrade is definitely the Marlin (although, for now, fantasy is certainly an accurate term!)

One thing I've noticed is that in the used market the Marlin price premium over the Sailfish seems to be pretty small relative to the large size difference (factoring in beam and weight). I think alot of people hold your view that the 282 is the "happy medium" and that drives a bit of a premium relative to the size on those, plus it was perhaps built for fewer years than the Marlin. But to me the Marlin and up seems to really open up new worlds as far as long distance cruising and fishing, rough weather fishing, sleeping aboard etc. Not sure how the 330 for instance plays into this, might be too big of a size step to compare.

Case in point: https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2000-grady-white-marlin-300-9194727/ . Pretty sure a 2000 vintage Sailfish with 2021 power would be listed for at least that much if not more...

Hopefully sooner rather than later!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
You can get away with towing a 282 illegally, but you will need at least a ¾ ton. I tow the 270 with a max tow f150 the last year for the 270 was 2005. I know someone who tows a 270 all over Florida with a Tundra. I've also owned the 248/258. The 228 has a cockpit as big or a little bigger than the 258 and 270. The real upgrade is the cabin. The 270 cabin is very inviting. The question is, do you need it?
I can also tell you trailering a boat over 25' becomes much more of a PIA - gas stations, parking lots, hotels, etc. Also bigger boats are more system intensive = more crap to maintain.
For me the thought of my boat being captive to one port is not nearly as much fun as going places. I'm jealous of your voyage resume. I hope to catch up or surpass you one day!
Some days I questioned moving up to the 270. It was a lot of work, but most of the time I don't regret it. As for going bigger - no way unless I'm retired. I'd never get enough out of it to make it worth the effort.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The truck is defiantly a factor in towing, but the trailer itself makes a bigger difference in my experience. Our current 305 Express tows better than our 272 did, the trailer I had for the 272 was new but I was too close to its max capacity to tow comfortable and would sway if not loaded perfectly. Also had a 268 Islander with an overkill trailer and it towed like a dream.

We are your classic example of two-foot-itus and I have never regretting going bigger, but we also stick to our mooring and do not trailer around.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Would you ever consider keeping what you have and renting when you want the bigger adventure?

While we’re dreaming, regulators and contenders make me drool

• Love
Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I did the big move up 7 years ago. Don't regret it. It had to be done. I just can't imagine towing a big boat. Slip makes more sense.

Lately I've actually been pondering downsizing. My brother (and main fishing buddy/deckhand/co-captain/financial slush fund) has moved back to FL.
I've been daydreaming the 25 Contender FA or Open. Or maybe a 23 with a single 300.

Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

Fishtales

Reaction score
Seems there isn't a GW you don't like!!! I'd polish up what you've got, save and wait for the next downturn. When it comes, there will be deals to be had.