Deck Removal

Phil D Cooler

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Bought a 2006 Marlin in Jan. Great boat. Now it's out for the winter and I want to do some work that will be much easier if I remove the aft deck hatch. It looks like it is just screwed down and caulked. Any other thing I should be aware of before removing it? Any adhesive on it? Also, when replacing it what type of caulk is best to use? Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
Screws and caulk. When removing look for any spacers that might have been installed to keep it level. Mark which goes where for later.
Reinstall using silicon caulk. The GE stuff in almond is a decent match to the off white gel coat. Some folks like white but it stands out and some even like black. I use almond. Use masking tape on either side of the groove to prevent the caulk from making a mess on the deck and panel. Let the caulk set up for 5 minutes or so (depending on outside temps) and then peel off the tape. Do not let the caulk fully cure with the tape on.

Last edited:

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
You can also add a piece of fishing line before you lay the caulk in. It makes breaking the bead easier the next time you need to remove it. Tie a loop on one end and leave it in a corner that you'll remember.

Reactions: efx

Fishtales

Reaction score
As stated remove screws (only go into glass lip under and cut the calking with a knife, then pull up after removing the deck plate cover. May have to cut a bit more to get it to come out.
There will be rubber pieces between the deck lid and the cockpit floor lip. I'd take the time to clean and glue these in place. If they fall into the bilge they can migrate aft and it is a PIA to retrieve.

Phil D Cooler

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks everyone. No surprises and some really good tips.