Diesel Gen on a 2003 Grady white 33

JoleGW33

Reaction score
my FP genset had to be taken out because it broke down. (unknown reason yet) anyway it is unfixable because the underside is heavily corroded. (thanks to the previous owner).

could some one inform me about what generators would fit in the GW33?

if so what prices should I be expecting if bought new?

Thanks in advance

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
2 cents. why not replace with same fp 4200? all the wiring is already there. a different genset will require all new controls etc. ron

Teamwork

Reaction score
I am not sure how you use your Generator. But my experience has been that a Honda 2000, sitting on the back platform in the door way has more than compensated for the loss of the Panda Generator, that was in that boat. We also had a 2003 GW with the panda and the reason why it demised was because it is salt water cooled so it etched a tiny hole between the body and the windings causing it to freeze up. Ours died just after the warrenty expired . I contacted Panda and they said that they would give me a deal for around $7000. I can throw a Honda off the back deck once a year and have better realiablity. I am sure that the new and improved Panda works better as the company said they stopped making that particular salt water cooled engine before mine broke. Good luck....We cruise 6 months out of the year in the bahamas...I can buy a honda there if i had to, but I always have a spare somewhere in the boat.

JoleGW33

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
2 cents. why not replace with same fp 4200? all the wiring is already there. a different genset will require all new controls etc. ron

That would be the best thing to do!, but apparently (I was told) FP doesn't manufacture my gen anymore (4.2kw SC), I don't know if a similar model would work with the wiring and everything. Thats why I am trying to get as much info at possible.

thanks for the input!

JoleGW33

Reaction score
Teamwork said:
I am not sure how you use your Generator. But my experience has been that a Honda 2000, sitting on the back platform in the door way has more than compensated for the loss of the Panda Generator, that was in that boat. We also had a 2003 GW with the panda and the reason why it demised was because it is salt water cooled so it etched a tiny hole between the body and the windings causing it to freeze up. Ours died just after the warrenty expired . I contacted Panda and they said that they would give me a deal for around $7000. I can throw a Honda off the back deck once a year and have better realiablity. I am sure that the new and improved Panda works better as the company said they stopped making that particular salt water cooled engine before mine broke. Good luck....We cruise 6 months out of the year in the bahamas...I can buy a honda there if i had to, but I always have a spare somewhere in the boat.

Thanks for the help!, yea I was told they dont make that model anymore. Thats a great idea, but I would like to keep mine looking and working as original. For what FP gen was that deal?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
it might be worthwhile to call GW (or FP) and find out how much of the control components are plug and play to the newer design. ron