Differences from the 24 Off-shore and the 22 Seafarer ?

82seafarer

Reaction score
I currently own a 1982 GW Seafarer 226 with an 87 225 Johnson and I am looking to at least add a hard-top. From what I have seen it is far too costly these days to add one and it seems like a much better idea to just buy another boat with one already on it - especially with the much lower cost these older GW's are going for right now.
My question is if I move-up to a 24 Off-shore is there much of a difference ? I see just as many of those for sale (if not more) and was wondering if they have any draw-backs or advantages besides 2 ft in length ? What about years of hull-design too ? I would probably buy a newer one but probably something still quite affordable so not too new.
I am guessing at least pre-2000. Maybe even pre-1990 ?
Also if I find one cheap with a bad motor and good hull - would my 225 (which runs great with low hours) work fine and be almost as good on a 24 ? does the 24 use a lot more fuel ? Are they a lot more sea-worthy but at the cost of being less-trailerable? I know my 22 can be a little squirrely in a following sea.
I know- A LOT OF QUESTIONS !
But ANY advise / help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From a financial standpoint you're on the right track with looking for another boat with a hardtop. It doesn't make sense to me to invest that sort of money in a nearly thrity year old boat.

I have a 228G with a Yamaha 225 on back and that is plenty of power for that size. Not sure about the Offshore 24. You could also look for some 1990s era 228s with a bad engine. In this slow market you could proabably find a really good deal.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Only going from what people have said, the older 24's have a hard ride. Not sure how much you want to spend or have space for but older Sailfish models aren't that much (but operating costs are a decent amount more).

jellyfish

Reaction score
i had a 242 offshore 1990 and it pounded and had a hard ride to her. I would get a 1992 on up as they have the SV 2 Hull. Better ride.