Disc Brake conversion

Yellow Boy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Can this job be done by an average shade tree mechanic(me)? I have located a ss disc brake set from West Marine. Are there other sources I should check with?
thx
yb

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That SS brake set from West Marine is probably made by Tie-Down. Do a search and you will see plenty of feedback. Generally speaking, most folks prefer Kodiak brakes.

I'd check with Eastern Marine http://www.easternmarine.com They are good folks...

catch22

Reaction score
Yes... Imo, it can be done by your average "shade tree" mechanic. The toughest part is removing the original brake assembly from the axle, (4 or 5 bolts)... depending on how badly rusted/frozen they are.

And, unfortunately... you have to replace the actuator with a disc version too. Different pressure set up.

I agree with Parthery... go to Eastern.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I converted my trailer last spring to Kodiak disk brakes from Eastern Marine. It's actually a very easy job and Eastern is a pleasure to deal with.

Gary 89 Overnighter

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
If your actuator is still in good shape, it can be converted to disc brake use by puncturing or removing the residual valve. A couple of other things to think about are a reverse lockout solenoid and adding a short piece of rubber brake line between the steel tubing and the calipers.