Do you own it just because you paid for it??

hhboathouse1

Reaction score
Gentelmen,

My name is Craig Freeman and I am the owner of the Sales and Service at the Hilton Head Boathouse. As I do not usually get involved in the forums I do pay close attention to them. To adress the current topic we have been working with the customer to obtain title to his boat. I have allready called him this am, we also talked to him last thursday. When we took the boat in on trade the titles were signed over along with the boat, we are guilty of loosing the titles. The process of getting a hold of the previous owner has been extremley difficult he travels allot out of the country. The process was completed on the 18th of this month. We have sent the current customer copies of the check to DNR copies of the signed duplicate titles. Everything has been sent into the state he should have it resolved quickley. This was all put in motion long before this post. The prevous ownerd had to sign a form requesting duplicate titles and then had to sign them over. Trying to get a hold of thim twice was daunting. We have been doing our best to resolve the situation. Here at the boathouse we take pride in our customer service and try to do the best job we can. I hope this puts this situation to rest, our customer will be taken care of. If anyone has any futher question please pm me.

Craig

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
cloud, Mistakes do happen, but this dealership has not been up-front and honest with you over these past 7 months. I think he owes you a lot more than an apology and the title to your boat. Let's see what he's made of. We will be watching this closely, so please keep us in the loop.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Craig,

Thank you for clearing up for us your attempts to satisfy your responsibility to your customer.

A good friend of mine always says

"Never mistake effort for results".

Of course mistakes happen...But 7 months is unacceptable. Your customer cannot use his boat without potentially having his day disrupted due to your mistake.

Having owned 11 GW's and over 30 years with the same dealer I know this is not the manner in which GW expects their customers to be served. - You MAILED the paperwork to the state?...Why didn't you personally drive it wherever it had to go and then stand in line until you got what you needed? After all - YOU HAVE HIS $$

That is what my dealer would have done....and for my trouble I would have received AT LEAST a free winterization and full tank of gas to cover my aggravation.....Probably more.....What are YOU going to do for CLOUD?

As I said before in my other posts - MISTAKES HAPPEN.....But, to be candid, your lack of urgency on this matter is the issue here.....I'll bet if your life depended on it you could have a title in hand tomorrow if you put your mind to it........

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
No Title

Craig,

I thought that was a pretty lame response to a problem that has been going on for so long. If it were me I would be thinking your doing something shady with the money to help keep the dealership afloat and can't clear the title.

This goes beyond mailing the paperwork to the State. You have a public relations problem here and your loosing control of it. If I owned your company I would be calling this guy every day to update him on the progess.

You have an opportunity to exceed the customers expectations and turn this problem around. Get the right people in your company off their butts and make something happen!

bigfish1229

Reaction score
i dont usually get involved with matters not directly affecting me, however i cant resist anymore my dad always says if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck its probly a duck, what i mean by that is everyone who has replied to this thread with the exception of the alleged dealer is in agreement that something is not only wron but terribly wrong. the botom line is this SOMEONE IS HIDING SOMETHING SOME WHERE!!!!! i say this because a man with no arms can swim faster than this process has taken. obviously we are talking about a significant amount of money here so there is alot at stake especially with the economy the way it is now.

this is just my opinion cloud, get a lawyer, if you spend a little $$$ so what, it will be worth it when your boat is yours. and i believe you could persue re embursmentof legal fees from the dealer if this matter has affected your life and im sure it has.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Until the owner has a title in hand all the "check's in the mail" BS is just talk. 7 months of having your chain jerked is too much. Now that more facts have come forth there's more questions.

If the boat was a consignment more people have to get involved. But the dealer owns the boat and recieves money from a buyer and doesn't hand over the title? It should have never been for sale if you can't find the title. So what would have happened if the previous owner was mad at you or couldn't be located, how much longer would the buyer have to wait?

At the very least someone should have gone in person to handle the title transfer, and then hand delever the title to the new owner.

richie rich

Reaction score
I like the fact that all this talk has gotten the dealer to send a response......the power of the internet....nice.....keep the pressure on until its resolved for sure.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This is an interesting post that hits close to home for me....I agreed to purchase a GW 228 from a broker outside of Charleston....in the course of the conversation he indicated that he didn't have the titles for the boat and motor in hand, but that he would get them for me.....

I refused to take delivery until he could produce the titles at closing, much to his chagrin. 3 weeks went by, with a bunch of excuses. Finally I called the SC DNR and was told that the titles were clear, that no one had requested duplicates, and that duplicates can be issued in person on the spot at offices in either Columbia or Charleston. Needless to say, I walked on the deal.

Point is, if the titles truly were lost, once the dealer has the signed affidavits from the seller, he/she can go to the office in Charleston and have titles in hand the same day....

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Parthery said:
This is an interesting post that hits close to home for me....I agreed to purchase a GW 228 from a broker outside of Charleston....in the course of the conversation he indicated that he didn't have the titles for the boat and motor in hand, but that he would get them for me.....

I refused to take delivery until he could produce the titles at closing, much to his chagrin. 3 weeks went by, with a bunch of excuses. Finally I called the SC DNR and was told that the titles were clear, that no one had requested duplicates, and that duplicates can be issued in person on the spot at offices in either Columbia or Charleston. Needless to say, I walked on the deal.

Point is, if the titles truly were lost, once the dealer has the signed affidavits from the seller, he/she can go to the office in Charleston and have titles in hand the same day....

...Like I said Craig....The ball is in your court......

maleko38

Reaction score
something fishy !

Sounds to me that he used your money to fix or pay something else off like a Yamaha bill. You know rob Peter to pay Paul. :evil:

cloud

Reaction score
Hey, guess what showed up in the mail today... Right! The title for "MY BOAT". The dealer (and the Grady factory rep) both said last Friday it would get here this week and today I own a Grady 282. After almost 8 months the title appeared in the mailbox and I finally own my boat!!!
I really need to thank everyone who supported me and put pressure on the dealer to close the deal. I have been trying since October of 2008 to get the title to my boat. I paid for a boat that I could not use for 8 months, but now it is mine and my wife and I are planning on spending all weekend on her!
THANKS !!
Cloud
PS I called the dealer to let him know I got the titles, but got his voicemail… I have not heard back from him.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nice story. Reminds me of that thread that went on for thousands of posts on THT on that sportfisher with all the problems.

I'm glad it worked out. 8 months is stupid long.