Down rigger mounting

SBLGFD

Reaction score
Looking for ideas and comments. We are going to be putting four Big Jon down riggers on our 96 Sailfish. The plan was to gimbal mount all of them for easy on easy off. I am considering adding two additional flush mount rod holders at or near where the rear bulk head wall meets the side rail one on each side. My thought was that with this rearward position two of the riggers could extend out the back with the other two fishing out to the sides. For those of you fishing multiple down riggers how is your layout and what works for you?

Thanks SBLGFD

96 Sailfish
"Double Trouble"

Amigo

Reaction score
On this side of Lake Michigan the trend is towards less down riggers and more dipsey diver, lead core and copper pulled on in-line planer boards.

Based on that trend I mounted three Vectors on my 1988 25 ft. Sailfish. I can run 10 lines if I have enough people on board. Thats plenty of potential line tangles if you have a down current or turn to sharp. I'm totally satisfied with three. I often only use two or use the middle rigger for an attractor only - no lure.

I mounted the down riggers with swivel bases on tracks. (Check Bert's Custom Tackle on Cabelas website) I then mounted a Vector double rod holder on the track forward of the 2 side down riggers.

For a few years I had 2 Big Jon manual downriggers mounted with gimbal mounts. Works fine and gave me some experience before making decisions that required drilling holes in my Grady.