Downriggers

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi, I 'm new to forum, have just purchase a 265 express and was wondering what recommendations you might have for mounting scotty downriggers. Didn't really want to drill the edge, but probably the best way. Thanks

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used Penn 625s with the 4' boom and the quik mounts. They sit in the read rod holders and hence do not require a permanent base mounting. Highly recommended!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use Scotty gimbel mounts:

31f5oJQsm1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They fit in the rod holders and are easily removed. You can add the swivel mounts to them if you use Scottys with long arms.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Curious, do you have the boom perpendicular to the gunnel? Are you worried about breaking the pin in the rod holder? I would think there would bee a decent amount of stress with a weight on the wire?

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, I will be ordering gimbal mounts

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Gimbal mounts work if you're using a short boom and no more than 10 lb weights.

Out here on the West Coast we fish with 5 to 6' booms and 15lb weights. There's no way I would use gimbal mounts. I have my Cannons mounted on the port and starboard gunnels and use backing plates made of 1/4" aluminum to make sure the load is spread across the entire surface.

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have used gimbel mounts for four years with 12lb balls. No problems. I've upgraded to GM650 http://www.burnewiin.com/index.php Great product and works great. Very universal. I do have 2 used gimbel mounts to sell, if you want them. $50.00+freight for both. I also have some GM650's for sale, $120 each. Jim

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Jimontheroad said:
I have used gimbel mounts for four years with 12lb balls. No problems. I've upgraded to GM650 http://www.burnewiin.com/index.php Great product and works great. Very universal. I do have 2 used gimbel mounts to sell, if you want them. $50.00+freight for both. I also have some GM650's for sale, $120 each. Jim

Sounds like you're trying to sell Gimbel mounts. As I said I wouldn't use them fishing 5 or 6' booms or with over 10 lb weights. I have seen downriggers bend the gimbels with 12 lb weights and 5' booms. Especially when fishing deep which is what we do.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Burnewiin makes really nice heavy duty stuff. But their SS parts are pricey.

If you plan to use a Scotty gimbel mount in any other conformation other than straight back off of the stern, you will need to stabilize it with a piece of plywood or Starboard. There is a slot for this at the rear end of the Gimbel mount. This puts much of the weight on the top of the gunwale rather than the rod holder gimbel. You will also need the swivel mount if you want to run the arms at any other angle than straight back.

You need to be aware of this before you invest in the gimbel mounts. Set up right, they are very stable and handle heavy weights just fine.

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought a set of aluminum gimbal mounts on Ebay from a gbyerly 2, very well made, was going to reinforce the rod holder mounts with a piece of 1/2" ABS plastic underneath the holders to spread the load out. I guess well see how it works.

duabrown

Reaction score
I am looking for any suggestions / horror stories on the downriggers. I have spent 2 Walker Electric downriggers8 years, any significant issue downriggers themselves. About 5 years ago, I upgraded the cable, including temperature sensors. This system has never been in my ship and two returned to the manufacturers, who otherwise attempt to help me.