Dragged My Mooring

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Never had this problem before... I keep my 192 dual console moored at an offshoot of Popponesset Bay (which is off Nantucket Sound)... During the storm last week my boat dragged my mooring several hundred yards down the Mashpee River. I got lucky in that I didn't hit any docks or boats or even run aground... they boat/mooring stayed in the middle of the river. Looks like a lot of people weren't as lucky.

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Glad it wasn't worse. Yea that was a pretty bad blow. I was fine in Osterville but I saw some people in Hyannis didn't fair to well.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Glad it wasn't worse. Yea that was a pretty bad blow. I was fine in Osterville but I saw some people in Hyannis didn't fair to well.

Yeah I just spoke with my mooring "guy." He said the moorings aren't really designed to be "hurricane proof" and the sustained gale plus astronomical tide caused things to happen to anchorage that we really don't usually see. The area I'm in is generally very well protected and I've never seen my mooring move a bit in the past. Unfortunate for the boats in Hyannis and others (even on docks I heard there was a lot of damage). Next time I get advanced warning of a storm like that I'll probably pull the boat to be on the safe side. Then again, sitting on a trailer a limb or tree could also land on the boat!

Fishtales

Reaction score
yea, if the shroom gets pulled too far over, it can come loose. I'm sure with that storm, there was enough wind and current to do just that.

Reactions: MashpeeMan

hinmo

Reaction score
google "Mattapoisett Storm" images and see some of the mayham that Oct blow caused us. I was at a protected marina, but also have a mooring in the harbor that got socked bad.