Drain Plug on Grady Bracket

Oh Kay II

Reaction score
Aluminum Grady Bracket on 1987 Offshore...The plug on the bottom of bracket..is it a drain plug?..can it be removed?...should it be removed to drain water from inside bracket?.... I believe my bracket is full of water....I haven't a clue as to how it would get in there..but I believe it's in there....should I bother with trying to get the plug out..If I succeed in taking it out , will I cause a bigger problem trying to get it back in??....don't want to strip anything.....I ave never tried to remove it, I mean really tried to remove it!...I have only owned the boat for 6 or 7 years now...don't know if its ever been removed...its a 1987 boat...What say you all?? Your help and expertise would be greatly appreciated.. :bang

richie rich

Reaction score
yes...open and drain it....use a proper fitting tool that tightly grabs the sides....not a 12pt socket or anything.......you may need some heat....just use a propane torch to get it hot enough to expand and break the bond between the threads...let cool, then apply the torque to the nut....an extended handle will help with the torque.