Draining fuel-replace fuel lines

Maybe Later

Reaction score
I just bought a 1987 tournament and need to drain the fuel and replace the fuel lines. Any suggestions on the easiest way to drain the tank. Thanks

fastal

Reaction score
not sure if this helps but I was told environmental service compaines will do this, up here in mass we have cyn environmental and clean harbors.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I'm assuming you plan to remove the tank(s) to do the hose change. I'd surely recommend it, since you'll have to have the hatch out anyway.

The easy way is pay someone. Another way is to obtain an old fuel pump, attach to the fuel feed south of the F/W separator, run sufficient output hose to whatever containers you have, attach a 12v DC power source and have at it. Alternately, remove the tank cover, remove the fuel sender, insert input hose from the aforementioned pump, and pump all you can get out of the tank.

Hose replacement is not easy with the tank removed, can't imaging doing it with the tank in place ... :?

And before anyone gets their panties in a knot: Fuel is explosive, fuel can be removed by an electric fuel pump without going Northern Horizon, one can work around fuel without a bon-fire ... :wink:

grady23

Reaction score
"And before anyone gets their panties in a knot: Fuel is explosive, fuel can be removed by an electric fuel pump without going Northern Horizon, one can work around fuel without a bon-fire"
I agree BUT.....
Not knowing the level of expertise of a given individual, I'd be real careful about this kind of statement. I once watched a full time paid firefighter flip a cigarette right under a fuel tanker unloading in a gas station.
My worry would be some dumb-ass using an electric pump NOT designed for fuel. YES --- I read what you said "Fuel PUMP" but that doesn't always get picked up by the reader or do they know that an electric fuel pump is sealed from spark!

Ever seen someone with 3rd degree burns?

kjd911

Reaction score
I have a Marlin with a 45 gal tank on a trailer. I obtained a 55 plastic drum from the local sales paper and using a 20ft piece of using and a universal fuel pump bulb for outboards, siphoned nearly every drop. IF the fuel weren't so contaminated id siphon it all back in but... Plan on about 1.5hrs to move 40 gal in a 3/8 or 1/2" hose.

My Motto: It only costs a little more to do it yourself!

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are companies that will come to your boat and "polish" or "scrub" your fuel. What they do is pull it out, run it through multi filters, and then return to your tank, ready to use. Many people do this after having their boats sit for an extended amount of time.
Regarding changing the fuel lines. I would not pull tank to replace them. It isn't necessary. I very recently removed and reinstalled new fuel lines from filller cap to tank, including breather hose, and also fuel lines to outboard. If you are mechanically inclined, it should be no problem at all.
One more note. I'm not sure why you are removing fuel from tank, but it isn't necessary to change hoses. They are all on top of fuel tank, at least on my Seafarer. Just remove cockpit floor cover over tank.
If you decide to remove fuel from tank yourself, be very careful and be sure and use a "sparkless" pump. I am a retired 35 year firefighter, and saw more than a few boats go up because of fuel fumes. It the fumes that are dangerous. Just my opinion.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What i did was bought an external car fuel pump( for gas) and 30 feet of 3/8 hose, i cut the hose to 20 feet and hooked it to the tank pick up then the pump, then 10 feet for hose and in to a plastic drum, i also extended the wires of the pump to about 10 feet, took a little less than a minute per gallon.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I'd be real careful about this kind of statement

Jeez, he drained his tank without any burns! The paranoia about anything having to do with fuel is amazing, and the reason for the statement "And before anyone gets their panties in a knot: fuel is explosive" ... :?