Draining fuel tank 89 overnighter

jmbadge

Reaction score
Planning to drain fuel tank and add Racor fuel water separators this week.
What size separator do I need for 150 yamaha ? 30 gph. 60 gph. 90 gph ? Also the fuel line hose fitting 5/16 or 3/8 ? . Are the fuel tanks foamed in the belly of the boat ? Wanting to replace the tank next year with a smaller tank possible 40 or 50 ga. any thoughts would be greatly appreaciated..

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an '89 overnighter. The fuel line is 3/8 id. The fuel tanks are NOT foamed in place. IMHO, you would be wise not to reduce the fuel capacity below the factory provided sizes - either 65 or 80. Your motor at full throttle should burn 15 to 18 gallons per hour based on the 10 % HP rule of thumb. Every motor I've had has been 1 or 2 % higher.

Gary 89 Overnighter

derx2

Reaction score
september2009073.jpg

here is a pic of the tank on my 89 Overnighter, its not foamed in.....

jmbadge

Reaction score
Overnighter

Thanks for the photo. Pumping bad fuel out tomorow hopefully she will run better. Did you replace the tank in your boat ? how was the condition of tank?

jmbadge

Reaction score
fuel tank

Also there is a acess panel just foward on the deck of the main taink , is this a continuation of the gas tank ? thanks Jmbadge..

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From what I understand, if the tank extends forward under that access panel, it's the 80 gallon tank. If not, it's the 65. Mine does. Several months ago, someone posted pics about converting the forward area to house his batteries and someone else made it a storage compartment.

Gary 89 Overnighter

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The "access compartment" is actually a glass floor well with hinged cover, must have been converted to something else. The edge shows in photo.

On the 65 gallon (older) models.

derx2

Reaction score
on my boat (the one in the picture) the tank extends forward all the way under forward access hatch just shown at the top of the picture. This access hatch is secured with screws and the perimeter is sealed with caulk, (similar to the large access panel at the cockpit floor) and is not hinged, although it has a 6" inspection port at the center of it.

when I pulled the cover and took the pic above I was changing out the fuel lines (fill, vent, engine supply). I also pulled the fuel sender and took a look inside, the tank was very clean inside. The previous owner said it had been removed/inspected at the time of the re-power about 10 years ago.

I have considered installing a 11x16 or so square access panel aft of the aluminum fuel tank for storage, or maybe move the batteries to that location......
David E.