Dried Sap on Gelcoat

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Any ideas on how I can remove dried tree sap from gelcoat?

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I tried mineral spirits was not very effective, any other suggestions?

seasick

Reaction score
Lacquer thinner may work but it does remove the wax as mentioned. Acetone will probably work too. Sometimes it is helps to wet/soak the sap with warm water, let it sit, re-soak and them scrub. You can also try sap remover available at automotive stores.
Prior to using sap remover, dry the area the area. After the removal, soap and rinse, apply some wax.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Goof Off.

It's a mixture of toluene and xylene that is available just about everywhere. I've used it to remove pine sap from my gelcoat many times. You just have to wash and re-wax or polish the treated area.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Turpentine. It's not instant process, but you'll get there. Wax when done ... :|

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Try denatured alcohol, used it on my car (and boat) under pine trees. Disolves the sap very fast.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for all the suggestions, nothing worked until a gentleman at the marina that was working on his Bertram mentioned to me to try "Buff Magic" from Shurhold, he had some and let me use it, the dried stuff came off easily, this product is very well named, it was magic. Everybody should have a can of it for all purpose gelcoat cleaner.