Dual Battery Setup Question

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
Re: I Have made up my mind.

Bluebill said:
It seems clear, that there are a variety of ways to operate twin batteries for one motor, but I have come to the conclusion that having a battery dedicated, and isolated from the "house" battery gives me the added safety measure that I am after, especially when it comes to protecting the sensitive electronics from the draw of the motor when it is started. I haven't decided whether to go with the BEP with the VSR or with the Blue Sea ACR system...is the lower charging rate with the ACR system really significant?

Last Question? is there an advantage to using a deep cycle for the house battery? I sometimes will be fishing for periods of several hours with the live bait tank, stereo, and possibly anchor lights on.

i use the blue seas products,i allready stated that...take a look at this..

http://bluesea.com/viewresource/58

i've set quite a few member's boat's up using dedicated batteries...trust me,it's the smart play... :wink: i sent you a pm...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just got the latest flyer from the mighty West, they have the Blue Seas "add a battery" combo special battery selector sw and relay on sale. I hope I didn't violate the new rules !

I'll state the price on a PM, or, I'm sure it's on their website.

I am no relative of the mighty West - nothing for me to gain by you using them, use anyone, me I prefer spreading it around, mom & pops alike.

jehines3

Reaction score
Bob I saw the West Price too, it was pretty decent. I think you could beat it with some online shopping, but it was a pretty decent price. As for the excess.

Bluebill, I'm not sure what you mean by the lower charging rate question.

The biggest thing to realize its that unlike inboard boats that have 100A+ alternators some of us are working of very low ampacities and need to wring out every last drop for the amount of electronics we carry. Having your batteries topped to a full 14.5+/-Volts is important. Using an isolator will strip roughtly 0.5-0.7 Volts off your top charge to the battery which could cost you idle or drift time before recharge. I don't run my electronics below 11.7V and have my GPS set up to warn when my voltage gets that low. Radar is the first to go on a nice day as long as I'm not looking for birds (which rarely works but despiration is strong when the boxes are light...)
jh

uncljohn

Reaction score
That diagram is for an inboard w/ an isolator. Which has little value to most Grady customers. I know there are a few IB and OI's out there still.

Go to www.perko.com and look up battery switches and they have the diagram you need. It definately doesn't have an "alternator" in it, professor....

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jehines3 said:
Gross Profit said:
I heard it wasn't good to charge a deep cycle battery with the motor. Is that true?

100% false./ jh

Where did that come from? A deep cycle is just a wet cell with thicker plates that can handle multiple discharges. The starting battery version has more surface area on the plates for the higher CCA's but when they get drained, the plates are ruined.

Gross Profit

Reaction score
I had someone tell me that. I didn't think it was right so I figured I'd ask this group since there's at least on on here who is smarter than God. Get your thong outta the crack of yer azz and go rebuild a transom or sandblast a hull you big bad "I'm here come and get me this is my number and address" internet freak. You probably own 100 acres on brokeback mountain.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
Gross Profit said:
I had someone tell me that. I didn't think it was right so I figured I'd ask this group since there's at least on on here who is smarter than God. Get your thong outta the crack of yer azz and go rebuild a transom or sandblast a hull you big bad "I'm here come and get me this is my number and address" internet freak. You probably own 100 acres on brokeback mountain.

i guess this isn't a personal attack,right ??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

i'll be in south carolina in a few weeks,where would you like to meet me... :wink:

Gross Profit

Reaction score
very predictable, just like my 14 year old boy. Sure Jimmy, come and get me. Let me know when you're in town.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Posted: Mar Fri 21, 2008 10:43 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't I read recently this board now had some rules and they would be enforced?

I call on the mods to delete this thread and let's all get back to being gentlemen.

I'm with Megabytes. Let's please keep this a civil forum. If you want to bicker and insult go to THT.

catch22

Reaction score
Gross Profit said:
I heard it wasn't good to charge a deep cycle battery with the motor. Is that true?

If you mean charging with a motor because it's a "fast charge", I've heard the same thing. It's better to slow charge a deep cycle battery.

Here's some info from Exide;
http://www.exide.com/faq/faq_marine.html

"What is the best way to charge my deep cycle battery?"

7. Do not use a fast boost charger. A slow charge is best for a deep cycle battery.

catch22

Reaction score
Gross Profit said:
thanks 22. I'm sure they're a bunch of morons over there @ Exide so they're probably wrong.

Lol.... I was going to say pretty much the same exact thing.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Just to start off let me say I have been in the battery business for over 30 years and I have read threw all the comments and many of them are correct. Some are partially correct. I have some comments about batteries. Yes it is hard on a deep cycle battery to be charged fast with high amps. It is ok to charge a deep cycle with the engine because it has a regulator and it limits the charge rate. When batteries are connected in parallel if one is bad it will draw the other one down. On trucks and heavy equipment it ok because if one fails you are on land. With boats they are circuit separated to isolate them if a problem occurs. Newer deep cycle batteries can be discharged very low and charged back up without causing a memory problem. Most battery problems are caused by poor connections. The biggest killers of batteries are heat and vibration. Sometimes putting the highest amp battery in may cause shorter life. As the battery discharges and charges the plates flake. The flakes fall to the bottom. The higher amp batteries have there plates close together. If a piece get wedged the battery fails. There is a lot more about batteries but these are some points. I have talked to many engineers from all the battery manufactures and believe me each company has a different way depending on there design. If you have any questions I will try to help.
Just remember lead acid,maintenance free,deep cycle, oil filled,gel cell. kevlar fibered,plastic cased, pitch sealed are all different and are maintained all differently.

jehines3

Reaction score
This depends on perspective. I think my 35 amp max output against my 4D deep cycle house battery is about as low as you can get for soft charging. Guys with 150A alternators on inboards charge golf cart batteries and deep cycle for seasons on end. I would say depleting the battery to full discharge because you are afraid to "quick" charge is much worse. Of couse there are always more ideal ways to do this, but impractical based on present designs availible.