Eisenglass storage

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is my first year having glass. Do you guys leave it on and shrink wrap, or remove/store and then shrink wrap ?

Rustygaff

Reaction score
All of my canvas come off the boat before shrink wrapping. I would not be comfortable blasting the shrink with the heat gun with isenglass right under it. Also, it gives me a chance to clean and polish the glass over the winter.

seasick

Reaction score
It is usually better to store the canvas assuming it will be subject to less extreme conditions. It can get pretty hot under shrink wrap but it can also get hot in an attic. Either way should clean the 'glass' with fresh water ( and very mild soap if really dirty) to get any debris off.You can apply a treatment made specifically for your glass to help keep the protective coating in good shape. Plexus is one option. I use Aerospace 303 protectant. Make sure its the protectorant and not the waterproofer or upholstery treatment. The panels should be rolled not folded and should have a protective layer of material to keep the plastic from coming in contact with itself. Old bed sheets work well.
If you need something else to do, get some lubricant ( I use zipper lube) and treat the zippers and snaps

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't shrink wrap but my canvas comes off and is cleaned and stored flat in my basement on a table. I wash and use IMAR cleaner/protectant and polish.
20191124_101452.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
The Imar products are the only ones that Strataglass approves for use on Strataglass. Otherwise the warranty is voided. Stuff is a bit pricey though. Worth it on non Strataglass? I don't know.

I forgot to mention one important thing for all clear vinyl. Do NOT USE RAINX ever...

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I leave mine on and shrink wrap over it. Seems like the vast majority do the same in the dealer we use. it does take a few warm days in the spring to thaw it out enough to roll up the curtains. They get very stiff in the cold

Fishtales

Reaction score
All of my canvas come off the boat before shrink wrapping. I would not be comfortable blasting the shrink with the heat gun with isenglass right under it. Also, it gives me a chance to clean and polish the glass over the winter.

This^^ Wash with mild soap. Clean and polish and then either lay flat if you have the space or roll up and store in a cool dry place.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks guys. I’ll be removing them Friday. And thanks Seasick for the tip on the Imar products

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I store mine on a wood rack system I made, with snaps screwed into each wood beam for each canvas. The beams come down and slide into the bracket on the ceiling.
I trailer my boat and need to tale canvas down every time to keep leaves/sap off the boat. Can hang them wet like thos and they just dry in the garage.

Attachments

• 20191201_080237.jpg
    20191201_080237.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 20191201_080234.jpg
    20191201_080234.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: Heyspike

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice idea imjus!! Kind of the same idea as wlewis with clothes line.

My basement is kind of busy so storing flat on table with old sheets between has worked well for me. I hang my drift socks up to dry but take them down when dry and roll them up. I don't have a spot to hang my curtains all the time and them not be in the way.

20170218_150159.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
The snaps are am ingenious idea.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
My canvas attaches to the hard top via tracks. My brother used some small PVC and cut a groove in them to serve as hangers in the garage.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have limited space for storage so I laid mine flat in the cabin with beach towels under and between each piece. I was very concerned about the heat from the shrink wrapper if I left them up.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have limited space for storage so I laid mine flat in the cabin with beach towels under and between each piece. I was very concerned about the heat from the shrink wrapper if I left them up.

Make sure they are white towels (have seen pics of color from towels bleeding onto the eisenglass before) - that would suck.

Reactions: Uncle Joe