Eisenglass

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Will I ruin my eisenglass if I leave it installed and exposed to snow/ice in the winter? It's not new or in perfect condition but it's not in throw away condition either.

JeffN

Reaction score
Won't help it I think. Is your boat out of the water or in? If it is in you don't have much choice but to put it up. If it's out I see you have an arch. Get some 1 1/2" PVC an run four pieces bow to ste. If you have a swim deck put some 45s or 90s on the stern to angle down to it. Put a few pieces of straping cross wise and then cove with a tarp. Everything will be happier. I leave my glass up under the tarp for extra protection.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, I have some PVC going from the arch to the transom and a tarp from the aft portion of the Bimini over the arch to the transom. Only the windshield is exposed at the moment......I always have a problem with the cover sogging over the bow......was thinking of leaving it open this year......but am afraid the eisenglass would get ruined........and BTW, the boat is out of the water in my backyard.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm in VA off the Chesapeake Bay and I've left my boat on my lift all winter for the last 2 years. It has had no obvious negative affect on my Eisenglass. I expect this winter to be harsher than the last two and plan to pull the boat and cover it. When I do, I will cover the entire boat.

Gary 89 Overnighter

JeffN

Reaction score
Offshore my boat is a little wider and I used four conduits from the bow to the stern. How many are you using? I think I would use four on just about any boat. I don't have any problem with snow etc. I just let the conduits overhang the bow rail about a foot and just tape them to the bow rail. Maybe if you blocked the conduits up some on the arch you would get a little more angle for clearing water and snow. Maybe.

We have so much wind here the half cover method would not work I think, but thats here.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I am using 1 1/2" plumbing PVC.......are the electrical ones more flexible than the plumbing ones?

Are you using a single piece from bow to stern?

JeffN

Reaction score
Maybe more flexible not sure. I'm an electrician so I have the material around. I do use couplings where needed. In addition I use four plumbing "Ts" to form a vertical support on support in front of the windshield to the cagin top. The plumbing Ts are 2" so they slide over the electrical PVC. I use schedule 40 PVC. This is just what I have come up with, I'm sure there are better methods out there. But it does work pretty well.