Electrical Question: 2006 228G Seafarer

pensagrady

Reaction score
I am installing a Poly-Planar stereo in the electronics box attached to the underside of the hard top. In order to maintain channel presets I need a constant (low-amp) source of 12V power that is not interupted by the battery switch. Is such a source of voltage available in the electronics box or nearby as configured from the factory?

Thanks,

catch22

Reaction score
Usually all of your accesary power is switched back at the batteries, (battery selector switch). You'll probably have to run a wire up from one of your batteries. If you do, make sure you use a fuse at the source, (battery).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The hardest part of the job is getting the wire all the way up to the hardtop box, to add to Catch22, check the color coded wiring diagrams in the owners manual, available on the GW website. Grady may have additional wires in the harnesses for various options, etc. You may find a single spare unused wire from the stern to the bridge console, then look for one from the bridge console up to the hardtop box.

All you need to add then is a waterproof fuse holder back at the stern !

flynnaire

Reaction score
If your batt's are still in the stock location,(Transom Lockers Port& starboard) The starboard side has 3 black fuse holders from the factory that are attached to that batt. One of them has stereo marked on it. That is hot! Just look at the wire color and you can go to the dash and pick up the unused end there.

jehines3

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
nothing goes to the battery ever, always to the back of the battery switch

Exact-o. Use the battery input side of the switch if you need an unswitched always on power source. I added a small 6 position AGC fuse panel off each of my battery inputs cause i hate inline glass fuse holders. The same hold true for the negative side. Put a common bus off the negative somehwere for all the wire to land on. jh

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You can go to the battery directlyfor unswitched feeds, - be sure fuse holder is close to terminal.

Batteries have multiple pos and neg terms for such connection purpose.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
BobP said:
You can go to the battery directlyfor unswitched feeds, - be sure fuse holder is close to terminal.

Batteries have multiple pos and neg terms for such connection purpose.

might want to read up on ABYC code's BobP, they have changed it this past years

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No where in the ABYC are you going to find (or ever to find in future revisions) it written if doing something different as in "alternate design" will it be detrimental, nor will you find if written by following ABYC the boat is not going to have problems.

Boats go up in flames or to the Davey Jones Locker that were manufactured to ABYC, and they always will.

That's the misnomer with such codes, they guarantee nothing. Doing it right is what matters. If it is not to ABYC doesn't make automatically make it wrong.

Members can believe what they want.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
BobP said:
No where in the ABYC are you going to find (or ever to find in future revisions) it written if doing something different as in "alternate design" will it be detrimental, nor will you find if written by following ABYC the boat is not going to have problems.

Boats go up in flames or to the Davey Jones Locker that were manufactured to ABYC, and they always will.

That's the misnomer with such codes, they guarantee nothing. Doing it right is what matters. If it is not to ABYC doesn't make automatically make it wrong.

Members can believe what they want.

we as techs need to follow rules and regulations
so that is all im saying

you should see the mess car audio guys do to boats!!!

jehines3

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:

Don't forget the mess previous owners make for us used boat buyers to fix. I'd rather people come here and get somewhat varying answers and attempt what they think is right than to just wing it and hope for good results. Every used boat I have ever bought atleast one project was hacked by the PO in some way, shape, or form.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
jehines3 said:
JUST-IN-TIME said:

Don't forget the mess previous owners make for us used boat buyers to fix. I'd rather people come here and get somewhat varying answers and attempt what they think is right than to just wing it and hope for good results. Every used boat I have ever bought atleast one project was hacked by the PO in some way, shape, or form.

very very true 8)