Electronics decision

greenhabah

Reaction score
I had made up my mind to buy a Garmin 4212 (somehow cut and make it flush mount into the electronics box), then I looked at Garmin's website and found that they are coming out (2nd quarter 2010) with a new 700 series. Was hoping that someone at the boat show would have an early prototype to display but no such luck. I fish in mostly less than 100ft but do fish upto about 300ft.

Which of the following options would you pick. I have listed what I think are the pros and cons.

Option 1.
4212 system.

Pros:
1k fishfinder
radar overlay
big screen

Cons:
Have to split screen to see everything.
Have to cut electronics box.
More expensive

Option 2.
Garmin 740 GPS and radar
Furuno 620 FF

Pros:
Cheaper
2 dedicated screens
Don't have to cut electronics box to fit

Cons:
No radar overlay
Would have to split screen for radar and GPS
600w
smaller screens
Not sure when it will be available (hoping April)

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as you and need to upgrade my electronics. The inability of the 700 series to overlay the radar was a huge concern and the fact that it isn't network compatible pretty my killed it for me. Right now I'm leaning towards the Garmin 4200 series.

greenhabah

Reaction score
If it was networkable I would have considered putting 2 740s in to have redundancy. Could still do that but have to move cables around.

The ease of installation and cost savings though have me leaning towards the 740 and 620.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a sparate RADAR, GPS and GPS/FF. RADAR overlay probably would be nice but not really necessary (don't you need a heading sensor too for the overlay?). I like having the GPS redundancy with 2 units and 2 sensors. How do you feel about 2 8" screens? Would they fit better?

greenhabah

Reaction score
2 8" screens won't fit width wise plus height.
Yes, you do need a heading sensor for the overlay.

I have separate GPS, FF and radar now and have to look all
over the place to see everything. Will be an improvement
to get everything in front of me. The GPS and FF are starting to fail
so those will be done this year.

So unless someone/everyone says "overlay is a must" or 1k over 600w is a must then option 2 is most likely the route I'm going to take.

Pete1313

Reaction score
Have you considered Raymarine? Their new C series wide units are great. And, despite rumors, they are not going out of business.

I just bought a C90W GPS/sounder package at a screaming price..

I have separate furuno Radar, but the C90W is compatible with Raymarine's Digital Radomes so you can add it at any time.

Don't know the size of your electronics, box, but the C120W is great...and if you can fit it, raymarine is selling the C140W (14" screen) with a $1000 instant rebate that basically makes it cheaper than the C120.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
greenhabah said:
2 8" screens won't fit width wise plus height.
Yes, you do need a heading sensor for the overlay.

I have separate GPS, FF and radar now and have to look all
over the place to see everything. Will be an improvement
to get everything in front of me. The GPS and FF are starting to fail
so those will be done this year.

So unless someone/everyone says "overlay is a must" or 1k over 600w is a must then option 2 is most likely the route I'm going to take.

For me the radar overlay is a big deal - the overlay just makes it easer to "see" where things are in the dark while I'm still inshore relative to fixed objects. It's not too big a deal in the wide open water. I also like the option of adding a 2nd MFD. If these things are not as high on your priorities then I have to agree with you that option 2 is probalby your best bet.

I'm sitll anxious to see the new 700 series units when they're available.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I second the Raymarine. I have the E120 and E80 displays, you do need the heading sensor (KVM makes a cheaper one but it is bulky, the Raymarine gyro is pretty small and easy to place). I put in a 1KW shoot thru transducer and fish out of GH. Never had an issue with finding/locking on the bottom.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am very pleased with my choice in the garmin 4208. Sure there will be advances this year and beyond, but it is a nice system. I have a thru hull ducer on it, but no radar, maybe someday. I like integration so my vote is go with either a garmin system or furuno. Sure there are nema connections or I suppose there are, but each company has there network hubs for their units.

Strikezone, it fits nicely in the e box on the 228. I do like the fact I. Can remove it as it is an extra level of security when I keep my boat in a slip and leave it. I bought the g2 vision charts for SE US rivers and lakes and the cartography is nice. Hopefully garmin, if they already have not done so will be releasing the g2 cards for coastal areas. They recalled the last generation due to cartographic errors which were serious enough to cause navigation issues. I would like to get them for the keys and nc and sc coast.

bighook

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am with Pete1313 on this one.I love Raymarine stuff.VERY user friendly.I am putting 2 C90W units on my 232 I just bought.It's nice to split screens,but I sometimes always wished I had full screen views of radar/plotter...etc.

So I am going with 2 units this time.I just hope they will fit on the flush mounting dash and I don't have to modifiy to much.You can seatalk all these units together so they both can do any function.I think that will be handy to have.

So even if one unit craps out on you.You got the other one to get you home......safety first ! :D

bc282

Reaction score
sorry to throw another make in the mess but you might consider Lowrance for your situation. I'm definitely no Navico customer service fan, but their new stuff is really good stuff. Especially since you normally fish in 100 feet of water you may significantly take advantage of the structure scan, down scan imaging or the side imaging technology they have recently come out with. Have not tried myself their radar, but my local tech has helped install them and was blown away at the target discrimination and detail.

FYI, if you go Lowrance, buy from a "preferred volume dealer" that is authorized to do a straight over the counter swap should the unit fail in the warranty, thus avoiding Navico service and 6 week turn around.

you do not need 1kw FF IMO, you'd be better served with down imaging or similar technology. Garmin is also not on par with their FF compared to Furuno, Ray or Lowrance, although they make good GPS/plotters.

also in my experience, the larger the screen the better.
i don't think you'll find many boaters who wished they installed a smaller screen unit rather only those with larger screen envy.

GOA

Reaction score
One More Name

Si-Tex Color-Wide is another option...7 or 15 inch screen, great graphic images and a "quick-release mount" for added security...you simply take it with you.

GOA :wink:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I bet you use the GPS all the time, how often do you have the radar on?

If the radar is on infrequently (as with me), then splitting the same 8 inch Garmin screen will do fine during those occassions.

I think the Garmin 4208 screen is actually 8.5 inches (go to store and measure for yourself).

You can do the overlay function.

Can add other features to 4208 later, don't need a FF black box if going seperate FF.

FF is usually on all the time and needs it's own screen, if anything does - FF does

blackgrady

Reaction score
i just picked up a northstar m121 for 1230 shipped, and the thru hull for 190 shipped. didnt get the radar yet, but for a 12 inch screen and the flush transducer its hard to beat. the screen is also 3 inches deep only. and 1k? do you see yourself in 2000 feet of water?

blackgrady

Reaction score
yep. boaterbarn.com for the display. its listed on their main page as on sale and they are in stock. they are listed at 1209 with free standard ups shipping. this was a deal i didnt think i could pass up. they also have every other brand for redicious prices. tell them steve who just bought one tuesday sent you haha

cheers
steve

bc282

Reaction score
Desperado said:
Where did you find a deal like that? Any left???

you might find it at www.getfeetwet.com
they sell new, refurb, and demo stuff.
some very good prices on stuff and safer than eBay IMO with this kind of stuff.

lgusto

Reaction score
Just a quick note to say my Raymarine equipment has been nothing but trouble. 2005 C80, radar, fish finder and Sirius weather radar. I've had to have the main unit and the radome replaced at my cost since it's out of warranty.