What would you do?

• Service the Furuno and buy a stand alone plotter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy the C90 Chartplotter/Radar Combo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sickday

Reaction score
I currently have an older Furuno (2001 era), large open array radar unit. The unit does not seem to be working properly. I'm new to radars and I am not sure if its user error or unit error.

I need a new chartploltter.

Raymarine has a package deal for a C90 chartplotter with a dome radar unit. The package is going for about $2,300.

My delema is this: Do I scrap the Furuno and go with the Raymarine? Or do I have the Furuno serviced and get a stand alone chartplotter and pay nearly the same $ as the new package. I am told that the open arrays are the way to go. My unit probably cost aroound $6k new. I could probably sell my unit for at least $1k bringing down my cost even more.

Are the open arrays that much better than the domes. (I'd love to see birds and low in the water hazards but my primary need in the unit is collision avoidence)?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback!

Matt

freddy063

Reaction score
I think the Furuno is an great radar, also having two units instead of one is always good insurance, if you single unit fails everything fails.

jellyfish

Reaction score
you might not see birds with a dome,, with a open you will. When you say it apears not to be working right what do you mean? Are you getting a picture and a sweep? Maybe it just needs a adjustment. You can take the head unit into Johnson Hicks and have them test it out, they can send it to furuno for a quote on getting it fixed. Thata what I did with my Nav net 1834 and they fixed it for $600 and cleaned it up as well. I had a guy come now and set it and it worked perfect after that. You can always sell it and get good dollars for it as well.

jellyfish

Reaction score
you can call Gaylen at Johnson Hicks in Sausalito and he will tell you what the problem is or better yet take it to him and he can hook it up at his shop a test it for you.

sickday

Reaction score
The verdict is in. I'm going to try and service the radar and buy a standalone Raymarine C120 Plotter. (For now). If it cost me more than $500 to fix the radar I will just get the dome package. At least for now, in 5 minutes, I will prob. change my mind.

Thx for the replies

Matt

elloco2

Reaction score
Are you going with the C120 or the new C120W? The reason I ask is the availability of the old radomes is limited, and in the future may be nonexistent, and the new digital domes will not work with the C-Series classic.

Not meant to question your decision, just wanted to make sure you were aware.

sickday

Reaction score
elloco2 said:
Are you going with the C120 or the new C120W? The reason I ask is the availability of the old radomes is limited, and in the future may be nonexistent, and the new digital domes will not work with the C-Series classic.

Not meant to question your decision, just wanted to make sure you were aware.

Thanks for the warning. Yes, I am going with the ne C120W.